Education Project Officer
|Job Title: Education Project Officer|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education||LOCATION: Baidoa|
|GRADE: 4||CONTRACT Length: 10 months|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
|ROLE PURPOSE: The Project officer- under the guidance of the project coordinator is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of education projects day to day progress including (teacher training) in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures. The project officer will provide technical support to partners implementing CP and DRR in school level including teachers focusing on effective planning, reporting, school management and leadership, EMIS and child centred teaching learning methodologies among others. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches especially in improving quality, equity, inclusiveness and performance of students especially those disadvantaged groups. He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other stakeholders implementing in CP and DRR actors in school level. The project officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including REOs and DEOs, CBOs, CECs, teachers and children. The project officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing SCI in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education stakeholders at region and district level.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: [ Project coordinator]
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 350 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Under the guidance of the Project coordinator involves in the development of new project proposals, concept notes and data collection
· Explore, document and disseminate new ideas, lessons and experiences from the day to day project management that will improve the planning and management of education projects
· Involve in the process of baseline assessments and establishment of project base line, for effective planning, monitoring and reporting purposes
· Ensure linkage, collaboration and partnership among sub sectors and thematic areas and other education actors at all levels
· Play proactive role in addressing key educational challenges such as poor capacity of teachers, girls’ enrolment and participation, education of disadvantaged children (pastoralist children, CWDs) through innovative, cost effective and appropriate means
· Ensure that he or she has adequate knowledge and understanding on key government education policies and strategies, SCI Global Education strategy, international standards such as EiE minimum standards, SDG goals, EFA goals and other working documents
· Prepare detailed action plans and for all education subsectors of education (primary and teacher training) implemented upon approval by the line manager
· Ensure that project is implemented in accordance with the work plans and the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels
· Ensure that SCI implements project activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
· Provides technical assistance to consortium members (as necessary) and local partners using variety of techniques and approaches in a systematic and planned manner
· Involves in capacity building activities at regional and local level for education authorities, regional/district supervisors, CEC members, head teachers and teachers based on the capacity building plans and strategies
· Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, workable monitoring system, baseline data and reporting systems
· Play proactive role in joint project planning, review, monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Under the guidance of the Project coordinator he or she ensures that education projects and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
· Organize, Participate and play proactive role in periodic project monitoring and implementation of actions, and recommendations and sharing reports, lessons and best practices among consortium members, education team and education authorities
· Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders including children in the process of project monitoring
· Ensure the participation of children/target groups in M&E based on CRP principles and approaches
· Manage project budgets in education efficiently and in line with donor guidelines and project plans as appropriate and as delegated
· Prepare annual and quarterly budget plans, forecasts and implement after approval
· Monitor and follow up budget, expenditure and financial reports
Representation and Advocacy
· Represent education team in relevant regional forums such as FE, teacher training and other working groups and other meetings as appropriate
· Work closely with other project staffs to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
· Play proactive role in national and global campaigns to advocate for increased children’s education in collaboration and networking with other actors in Somali
· Work with consortium members wherever applicable to further Save the Children’s mission for children
· Ensure linkage, synergy and harmonization of approaches and strategies with other sectors.
Team work and Self Development
· With the guidance of the project coordinator the project officer understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
· Under the guidance of the project coordinator explores opportunities for self professional development
· Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
· Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
· Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
DELIVERING RESULTS (SKILLED).
• Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING(SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influence that impact on decision making
• Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
INNOVATING AND ADAPTING(SKILLED):
• Suggests creative improvement and better ways of working
• Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
• Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
• Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(Accomplished):
• Enables people from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives to contribute to positive outcomes
• Breaks down silo working and challenges behaviours that are not collaborative
• Knows when to follow and when to lend leadership to strengthen other leaders
• Recognises when trust is broken and seeks to resolve conflict and re-establish trust
APPLYING TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE(SKILLED)
• Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali, (understanding of afmay language is added advantage)
|CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
|CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
Declaration of commitment:
I …………… understand and agree to undertake my responsibility in accordance with the above listed accountabilities/activities and also abide the terms and conditions of the contract
Signature: ………………. Date: ………………
|Date of issue: 25/03, 2018 Author : Education Programme Manager|
Education Project Officer– Baidao – Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Project officer –Education under the guidance of the Education project Coordinator is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of education project in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures.
Contract Duration: 10 Months with the possibility of extension
Location: Baidao- Somalia
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma or Bachelor degree in education or a related field with additional training in education planning and management and project planning and management techniques
- Knowledge of current national international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
- Recommended a minimum of 2 three years of relevant experience in similar position
- Experience of working with local/national governments and capacity building of systems, partners and staff
- Ability to write quality narrative donor report
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali( Understanding of Afmay language is added advantage, required
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be close on 2nd March 2019.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents