SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Reporting to:||Director of Construction|
|Duration:||20 months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Banadir Reginal Administration (BRA) Mogadishu Somalia)
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
- The Engineer will manages all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. They seek to minimize the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality.
Scope of services
- TheEngineer will manages estimates and costs of the work. When the project is in progress, they keep track of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Undertake cost analysis for repair and maintenance BRA project work;
- assist in establishing a client’s requirements and undertake feasibility studies;
- perform risk, value management and cost control;
- advise on a procurement strategy;
- identify, analyses and develop responses to commercial risks;
- prepare and analyses costing for tenders;
- allocate work to subcontractors;
- Review architectural plans and prepare quantity needs
- Estimate quantity and costs of materials
- Prepare contracts and documents
- Set budgets for payments, inventory needs, and materials
- Analyze costs for maintenance and additional building needs
- Track changes in plans or constructions; update budgets
- Negotiate with contractors and subcontractors
- Hire and document contractors and subcontractors
- Act as a liaison between clients and site managers/engineers
- Keep track of construction materials and inventory
- Identify potential financial or construction risks
- Advise clients on improvements, strategies, and/or estimated costs
- Document progress, materials, and reports on project
- Advise on property taxes, regulations, and local laws
- Source maintenance costs and facilities management for clients
- Develop and maintain working relationships with contractors and subcontractors
- Utilize software to calculate, record, and track inventory and estimates
- Any other duties assigned by his/her supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum Bachelor of Quantity Surveyor, or equivalent.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in surveying.
- Experience in working in the public sector.
- Excellent organizing and survey skills;
- Demonstrated survey skills;
- Demonstrated competence in the use of Microsoft Office;
- Excellent oral and written Surveying skills in Somali and English.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to email@example.com, Closing date by 25thMay 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Engineer Surveyor BRA Mogadishu Somalia & VA-no: 0091/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.