Engineer: Technical Expert civil construction and rehabilitation training
UNITED NATIONS INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INDIVIDUAL SERVICE AGREEMENT (ISA)
8 June 2019
|Title:||Engineer: Technical Expert civil construction and rehabilitation training|
|Main Duty Station and Location:||Mogadishu, Somalia|
|Contract Duration||3 Month|
|Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Mission/s to:||Missions to be authorized separately as required.|
|Number of Working Days:||Full-time ISA|
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations. Its mandate is to promote and accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition, and work towards improving living conditions in the world’s poorest countries by drawing on its combined global resources and expertise.The position is located in the Agro-Industries Technology Unit (PTC/AGR/AIT), which is part of the Agribusiness Development Branch (PTC/AGR). The Unit is responsible for technology aspects of agro-based industries in textile, leather, wood and agricultural mechanization. It also leads UNIDO’s work in bio-systems engineering with a focus on new technologies in precision systems for irrigation, production and harvesting; new systems for bio-energy production; advanced packaging systems to maximize product quality; recycling agro-products and prevention of emissions to protect the environment; and information technologies to optimize bio-process strategies.
The UNIDO Project “Contribution to youth employment Somalia (YES): Technical vocational skills training to support youth employment in South and Central Somalia,” contributes to the objectives of the Joint Programme on Youth Employment Somalia. The project is a multi-agency approach (FAO, ILO, UNDP, UN Habitat and UNIDO) to tacking youth unemployment in Somalia. Somalia suffers from the consequences of severe economic infrastructure destruction, high unemployment rates, a lack of technical skills and the erosion of the livelihood asset base of the Somali people. In order to improve the likelihood of youths finding sustainable jobs in growing sectors of the economy, both urban and rural districts require relevant education that is linked with such sectors. There also remains an urgent need to address gender inequality in terms of access to employment and livelihoods. This project aims to contribute to these ends through improving access to technical vocational skills for under-skilled and underemployed youth in particular women. This goes hand in hand with strengthening the quality of and access to vocational training opportunities and transferring technologies.
Under the YES project, the technical expert will be expected to work on a number of technical assistance areas, including plan and report on technical assistance and rehabilitation works undertaken by the project. Furthermore, training rehabilitation works, equipment commissioning, and training initiatives/activities will be launched that target youth in both Kismaayo and Baidoa. The technical expert will also be actively involved in providing technical assistance supporting the Custodial Corp. at the Baidoa Central Prison and Mogadishu Central Prison. Furthermore, a number of pilot initiative will designed for implementation that will building upon previous in-country assistance UNIDO has been involved in that will also help to strengthen local enterprise development efforts that will flow out from ministerial capacity building efforts organized around promoting youth employment in fragile operationalsettings.
Within this framework, under the overall supervision of UNIDO Industrial Development Expert (and UNIDO Representative) based in Mogadishu, and in coordination with the Project Manager (PM) based at the UNIDO Headquarters, the Technical expertwill carry out the following duties:
|Main duties||Concrete/measurable outputs to be achieved||Expected duration||Location|
| · Assessment of construction needs of MoLSA&MoCI premises for rehabilitation of the buildings.
· Assessment of construction needs for up-gradation & new buildings for 16 existing vocational training institutions.
· Prepare ToRs/RFQs for all the construction works to be implemented in next two quarters.
· Technical evaluation of the bids received for construction works.
· Prepare draft contracts for the selected bids.
· Prepare the work breakdown structure (WBS) for each of the construction activities with time-line.
· Monitor the work schedule and report to the Technical Advisor.
· Provide regular technical advice to the construction vendors.
· Design, roll-out and monitor various vocational skills training interventions planned at the project training centers.
· Design upgrading of vocational training centers linked to the project.
· Review, adapt and draft as needed, training syllabi to reflect planned training activities.
· Perform any other task assigned as and when required.
|Construction Needs Assessment Reports.
ToRs/RFQs/ Draft Contract prepared.
Monitoring Matrix submitted
Project activities is implemented in line with project Log-Frame and agreed work-plan
Vocational training programs as per plan completed.
|As soon as possible||Mogadishu, Somalia w/ missions authorized separately as required.|
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- University Engineering degree or Technical Trades Diploma.
Technical and Functional Experience:
- At least 5 years’ experience in in construction related technologies and in fields ofpractice;
- At least 5 years’ experience working and providing training in construction related vocational training.
- At least 5 years’ experience in Somalia, especially Mogadishu, understanding the context and dynamics of Somalia.
- Experience in undertaking rehabilitationassessments
- Project implementation experience in Africa, in particular post-conflictcountries, desirable;
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills – ability to reason logically, looking at issues from multiple perspectives at a micro and macro level.
- Attention to detail, and high-level of accountability for the quality and timely completion of project reports / documents.
- Proficiency in email, social media, VOIP platforms, digital cameras, GPS, are requiredskills.
- Knowledge or ability to use CAD software isexpected.
- Fluent in written and spokenEnglish and Somali.
- Computer literacy and strong working knowledge of MicrosoftOffice.
- Has to be a Somalian National
3. Respect for diversity
1. Results orientation and accountability
2. Planning and organizing
3. Communication and trust
6. Organizational development and innovation
Managerial competencies (as applicable):
1. Strategy and direction
2. Managing people and performance
3.Judgement and decision making
4. Conflict resolution
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through email to Y.SCARCIA@unido.org with subject line as Engineer: Technical Expert civil construction and rehabilitation training before 17th June, 2019. The application should be a cover letter and CV as one document. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees.