|دولة إقليم جوبالاند الصومالية
وزارة الدستور والشؤون الفيدرالية
|JUBALAND STATE OF SOMALIA
Ministry Of Constitution
& Federal Affairs
|DOWLAD GOBOLEEDKA JUBALAND
& ARIMAHA FEDERAALKA
Terms of Reference (TORs)
- Description of the post
This position is initially for Five months but may be renewed depending on performance and availability of funds. The MOFCA invite applicants who are citizens of Somalia for this position.
The Federalism Advisor will work under the supervision of JSS MOCFA and state and Ministry of Interior . Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by the ministers. Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
Consultancy Title: Federalism Advisor
Supervisor: Director General
Job Category: Federalism Adviser
Duty Station: Kismayo, Somalia
Contract Start Date: Immediate
Date of Issue: 19th August 2019
Closing Date 2ndSeptember 2019
- Organization and Project Description
Somalia is at this juncture targeting to further capacitate its institutions with the view of not only to solidify the gains so far achieved in peace and state-building but to move the goal posts further by ensuring that for the first time, in three decades, the Somali citizens elect their own representatives by 2021. To realize this goal of peace and state building that is in harmony with the SDGs, the National Development Plan and the JSS Strategic Plan among other institutions, Jubaland State of Somalia aims to put in place more accountable and responsive institutions that promotes and practices inclusive politics.
The Purpose of this project is to support MOCFA JSS Establishment of, and Support to, the National Reconciliation Commission/Forum, Reconciliation Plans and federalism process at FGS and FMS working through MoIFAR and related FMS bodies.
This will involve supporting the ongoing establishment of the designated bodies, institutional capacity development, training and support for necessary research and diagnostics, support to national reconciliation plans and conferences and associated meetings/mediation. This activity also supports the development of National Level Reconciliation forum/bodies and required public administration grievances mechanism at FGS and FMS level. REFS has also budgeted resources to ensure both FGS and FMS participation, provided such involvement is agreed upon between the state, communities and federal officials. This activity also will provide some support to preparatory work for the formation of the proposed Truth and Reconciliation Commission if preparations commence.
1. Objectives of Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist the MOFCA JSS in implementing its overall strategy, prepare detailed work plans, establish standardized approaches to Federalism efforts in the state. The consultant will ensure that the functions outlined below, and the scope of work is satisfactorily carried out.
2. Functions/Scope of work will include:
Federalism is organized and implemented in all Federal Member States (organization, roles, responsibilities, powers).
- Assist MOFCA and relevant institutions prepare detailed work plans, establish standardized approaches to Federalism efforts.
- Support setting up Road map for further federalization with roles and responsibilities at different levels of government.
- Liaise with the UN and ensure proper information sharing with UN entities in their effort in supporting Federalism.
- Provide technical support in developing Communication Strategy with targets for JubalandState
- Participate in conducting Baseline Study on the ‘State of Federalism”.
- Conduct trainings and outreach workshops on roles and responsibilities of state and federal governments.
- Support establishment of Technical committee on federalism and state building agenda.
- Provide technical support to state committees on federalism and state building agenda in drafting policy documents on Federal/JSS roles and relations, rules of procedures, work plans and reports.
- Provide support to JSS in the process of Establishing Intergovernmental Relations Forum between FGS and FMS institutions, and when established, give further support in conducting those Forums.
- Support MOCFA and relevant Institutions including JSS on the preparation of concept notes based on project outputs, provide written inputs to the development of annual work plans for presentation
- Promote information sharing and coordination between Ministries, Office of the President and other relevant state institutions.
- Support to Increasing Public Awareness and CSO Engagement on Federalism and State building
- Write event reports, minutes of meeting on federalism and state building agenda
- Submit high quality monthly reports; compile statistics, and document challenges and lessons learned.
Federal Administration is Operationally Enabled to Improve Effectiveness and Efficiency.
- Support conducting baseline assessments of key priority office infrastructure in JSS
- Participate to complete Reviewing of JSS government infrastructure, to support at least one key infrastructure projects to establish basic physical working environment for high priority institutions at JSS.
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- An overarching framework and strategy for federalism and communication with well-defined desired end-states for each priority area
- Implementation plan supporting the roll out of the Federal strategy
- Detailed one-year action plans setting out existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines
- Baseline Study on the ‘State of Federalism” is conducted.
- Technical committee on federalism and state building agenda is established.
- Intergovernmental Relations Forum between FGS and FMS institutions is established.
- At least one key infrastructure projects is built for high priority institutions at JSS.
- Monthly reports and briefings for the office of the President, Ministry of Interior, UNSOM/UNDP progress made, challenges encountered, and corrective action proposed
- Contributing to the Emerging State coordination meetings, reporting and progress, updates and document emerging States’ capacity building support.
- Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training and workshop reports.
- Quarterly Narrative Final report.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the chief of staff and minister of interior of Jubaland State of Somalia. Achievement of deliverables will be approved by the supervisors. Payment will be made upon certification by the chief of staff or minister of interior including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
- Duty Station
Duty station of the consultant will be at the offices of the MOCFA of the Jubaland State of Somalia in Kismayo.
- Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in public policy, Development planning, Governance and state building or related disciplines.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in Federal Member States, programme development and implementation.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Prior work in Jubaland State area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language
- Core competencies
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
- Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
- Results orientation and commitment to produce high-quality out come;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Gender mainstreaming
Jubaland State is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter via e-mail to: email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com not later than 15th September 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.