Female Internship Programme – Logistics
- Job category: Logistics/Supply Chain
- Post date:12 Nov 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Career Opportunities: Female Internship Programme – Logistics, Bossaso (108143)
Africa, Central & Eastern – Somalia – Bosasso – Working Job Language (2) – LOGISTICS
Date of Issue: 7th November 2019 Closing Date: 21st November 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates/students in Somalia. The programme will provide selected candidates/students with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of WFP. This will promote better understanding of WFP Somalia’s mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP Somalia’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. The intern will work with the Logistics team under the direct supervision of the Logistics Associate and overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office.
This position is open to qualified female Somali nationals only and are highly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Receive and verify invoices from transporters and service providers and ensure all supporting documents are received and duly reconciled with information management system;
• Provide support to Logistics Operations as well Cash Based Transfers and other related activities to ensure the effective deliveries of food assistance to beneficiaries;
• With guidance of the Logistics Officer, assist in developing productive relationships with the retail network in locations with active WFP contracted retailers;
• Support in assessing retailers’ performance against key performance indicator targets;
• Support gathering market intelligence, vendor assessments (e.g. transporters, retailers) to support vendor selection process;
• Assist in receipt of and dispatch of commodities against official approved documentation (e.g. Stock Transfer Orders and waybills);
• Participate in the weekly warehouse inspection exercises by monitoring condition of the warehouse and commodities;
• Support the maintenance of office files, documents, and records in accordance with established systems and processes for easy retrieval;
• Perform any other assigned duties as required.
Upon completion of the assignment, the intern will have:
• Understanding of international development and humanitarian principles including WFP’s operations, specifically in Somalia.
• Obtained skills in planning, coordination and partnering that include multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Gained results-based skills required for international logistics, retail supply chain management and warehousing operations.
Education: The internship programme is open to candidates who meet one of the following criteria:
(i) Enrolled in an undergraduate programme (f.eg. a Bachelor’s degree) or a graduate programme (f.eg. a Master’s degree) at a recognized university, studying in the areas of logistics, warehousing, transport, insurance, statistics, operations, or another related field. Candidates must have completed at least two years of the programme and have attended classes in the past 12 months; OR
(ii) Recent graduate from an undergraduate or graduate programme at a recognized university in the areas of logistics, warehousing, transport, insurance, statistics, operations or another related field.
Knowledge & Skills: Knowledge (academic or practical) in any of the following areas is desirable: logistics, warehousing, transport, insurance, and operations. Basic computer skills and use of Microsoft Office packages such as word and excel are essential. Basic computer skills and use of Microsoft Office packages such as word and excel are essential.
Language: Working knowledge of English and Somali is a requirement.
Terms and Conditions:
• Upon selection, a proof of enrolment stating that you are currently enrolled in a course of study and your expected date of graduation and if you have graduated, a certified copy of your degree.
• Interns will receive a monthly stipend from WFP.
• WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, travel to and from the WFP internship location, necessary visas and related costs.
Applicants are required to submit online applications through E-recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.
APPLY NOW: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?company=C0000168410P&career_job_req_id=108143&career_ns=job_listing&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
496 total views, 1 today