Finance and Admin Officer
Job description- Finance and Admin Officer
The Pharo Foundation is a private foundation committed to the development of Africa. Our vision is an economically self-reliant Africa. Our mission is to facilitate economic independence of the African people through the promotion of sustainable livelihoods and job creation in Africa. We value sharing, passion, respect, humility and collaboration.
In the last four years, we have funded projects worth over US$6 million in Ethiopia, Somaliland, Somalia and South Sudan. These projects are contributing towards improved access to financial services, education, health, water and sanitation.
Based on lessons learnt from these projects and wide ranging consultation we have carried out, we have developed a new five-year strategy (2016-20). Our strategic objective is to significantly improve the income and livelihoods of 30,000 households in Africa. We are committed to scaling up our work; improving the quality and the effectiveness of our programme selection, design and implementation based on evidence; and achieving significant and lasting improvements in the quality of life of the people whom we support.
The Finance and Admin Officer is expected to assist the Finance and Administration Manager ensuring that the financial management systems of the Foundation are maintained and are in line with the set financial policies and standards
The position will be based in Hargeisa Somaliland and may be with some travel to the field. This is a well-remunerated role that will give the right candidate an excellent mix of challenge, motivation and fulfilment.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Manage assets; include monitoring of asset movements and keeping proper records of the list of assets as well as its status. Keep updated register of all organisational assets by ensuring that all purchased assets are listed in the register within 48 hours of purchase.
- Check that any asset taken out of the office for official purpose is documented and status monitored. Any damaged asset is reported to the Finance and Admin Manager immediately.
- Monitor the office filing system, and ensure that all files are well maintained and regularly updated.
- Organise internal and external meetings for staff and visitors and take minutes of meetings as requested.
- Ensure that the photo Dropbox folder is regularly updated in cooperation with different staff members
- Manage the Foundation owned/rented transport as well as drivers.
- Coordinate and manage the watchmen, cleaners, drivers and the cook.
- Under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager, organise annual staff performance appraisals.
- Manage support staff absence and presences
- Manage support staff leave monitoring formats and develop annual leave plans.
- Organise international travel include visa arrangements, flight bookings, hotel reservations, airport pickups etc.
- Monitor staff meals, guest meals and other refreshments needed during working hours.
- Supervise office cleanliness.
- Carry out any other duties as requested by your supervisor
- Prepare all payment requests and submit it for review tothe FAM and ensure that they are in line with the set polices and standards.
- Prepare and process payments and ensure adequate supporting documents are adhered to.
- Manage daily cash transactions and monitor account movements.
- Safeguard cheque book and Zaad accounts.
- Maintain up-to-date cash and bank books
- Process timely payment of payroll tax, and road tax for vehicles
- Post daily transactions to the Xero Accounting System minimum once a week.
- Scan all payments on daily basis and save it to Dropbox
- Orient staff on the financial policies and procedures.
- Carry out any other duty as requested by your supervisor.
Required qualities and skills
- Degree in Accounting, Business Management or Economics.
- Minimum 4years’ experience in working in NGO in a similar capacity
- Knowledge of computerised accounting system is required including but not limited to Quick Books, Sage50 etc
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good writing and reporting skills.
- Ability to be creative and innovative in generating new ideas and putting them into practice.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in the use of basic computer software.
Please send to SLoffice@pharofoundation.org
- Your CV
- Application letter.
- Copy of your qualifications
- Deadline for submission of applications is Thursday,17th of December 2018 at 14:00hrs