Position: Finance Officer
Schedule: Fixed Term
Start Date: 01 February 2019
Department: Operation Department (Finance)
Reports to: Finance Admin & Human Resource Manager
Location: Hargeisa Office with a frequent travel to South Central (Puntland, Jubbaland, Hershabelle, Galmudug, South West, and Mogadishu)
Forum Syd is a civil society member organisation that works with development issues from a rights-based perspective. Our vision is “a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change”. We work with sub-granting and capacity building of partner organisations around the world, on issues relating to democracy and human rights, gender equality, and environment and climate change. We also mediate grants from Sida (the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) to Swedish organisations cooperating with local partners in 70 countries. We have offices in Sweden, Belarus, Cambodia, Colombia, Kenya and Somalia.
Forum Syd is now looking for Finance Officer for our office in Somalia/Somaliland – with duty station in Hargeisa with extensive travel to throughout Somalia/Somaliland. This is a fixed term position for six months, with the possibility of an extension, starting in early Febraury 2019.
Purpose of position: To maintain the accounting records of projects in the Country Office to enable timely management, decision-making and production of reports. To safeguard Forum Syd assets from loss arising from fraud or error and to manage and administer computer accounting packages.
1) MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide financial support and control in local grants making projects and programs.
- Support in audit processes and audit follow up within grants making projects and programs.
- Participate in projects in the field of internal control.
- Participate in the annual reporting of the Forum Syd’s Somalia Country Office portfolio.
Forum Syd | Opposite of Maansoor Hotel | Somaliland | Hargeisa | www.forumsyd.org
- Support capacity assessment of the grantees in financial management and internal control, and the agreement compliance.
- Review of receipt of income and ensure appropriate supporting records are kept.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements.
- Prepare payroll and ensure all statutory deductions are deducted and remmited in good time.
- Reconcile all accounts due by to others or due to Forum Syd on a monthly basis.
- Monitor the issuing of working advance and other floats and ensuring accounting for such advances is done in accordance with Forum Syd policies.
- Monitor on a day to day basis the bank balances for various accounts.
- Assist in preparing quartely cashflow forecast
- Post data into Aggresso accounting software with accuracy and errors free
- Enter transactions into the nominal ledger and prepare monthly management accounts for Forum Syd Somalia/Somaliland office.
- Reconcile credit and debt ledgers in the nominal ledger.
- Assist in the production of timely financial reports to donors/partners.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual budget and facilitate its implementation as required
- Participate in preparing projects budget as required.
- Be fully involved in the annual external audit exercise for Somalia/Somaliland Office.
- Responsible for safe storage of accounting documents.
- Ensure the asset register is maintained in Somalia/Somaliland, coded correctly and recorded in Agresso.
- Other responsibilities assigned by supervisor(s)
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALITIES REQUIRED
The job holder should meet the following essential requirements and, if possible, many of the desired characteristics:
- Education/professional/technical qualifications Essential
- At least a first degree in Accounting or Finance from recognized university
- At leat 3-5 years of finance and Accounting experiences at Finance Officer level or above
- Conversant with various computer accounting and Microsoft packages
- Knowledge of Aggresso or other major ERPs
- Other qualities
- Ability/means to travel to various parts of Somalia/Somaliland
- Other computer skills including good command of Excel
- Analytical and Decision Making skills
- Exellent Communications skills
- Fluent in English (spoken & written)
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural, international team.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of budget management and control principles
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Ability to plan own work, set priorities and complete it under pressure with very minimal supervision.
- High level of Integrity and good judgement.
- Cultural awareness.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Structured and quality minded.
- Able to work with local and international teams Minimum Relevant Experience
- At least three to five years work exprience in a busy accounting/finance environment at a finance officer level or above
- Experience of working in the non-profit/NGO sector
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send the following Niman.Mohamud@ForumSyd.org before or on 20 January, 2019 and reference Forum Syd Somalia/Somaliland Office, Finance Officer in the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to Forum Syd (1-page maximum).
- An updated CV (2-page maximum).
- Please send the cv and cover letter in 1 file attachment
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.)
and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.