SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Department:||Admin & Finance|
|Reporting to:||Director Admin & Finance|
|Duration:||20 months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Jubaland State Somalia)
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
The Finance Officer oversees day to day financial operations of the ministry office under the direction of the Director Admin and Finance. The Finance Officer will be responsible for entering journal entries into Creative’s Dynamics database, compiling the required backup documentation for each entry, and ensuring each transaction is in compliance with Creative policies.
Scope of services
- The Finance Officer will prepare and submit payroll and ministry information as required by the Government of Jubaland state Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Process State payment requests from the Ministry office for operational procurements under the Jubaland State program payments from the official ministry bank account to program vendors;
- Review the program milestone payments and submit to ministry Office with supporting documents for processing;
- Track and maintain the petty cash register for program petty cash;
- Prepare projections as requested for operational or programmatic periods;
- Track programmatic payments to the beneficiary and follow up as required with the Operations or project manager to ensure timely implementation of programming;
- Track and coordinate all financial payments inside Jubaland State in coordination with project finance team;
- Review all state ministry office and consultant timesheets for accuracy and compliance;
- Review all financial supporting documents from beneficiaries in order to verify all costs are allowable, allocable, and reasonable and supporting documentation is complete;
- Prepare and submit payroll and state ministry information as required by the project team
- Support training for beneficiaries on financial processes, as requested;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in finance, accountant, CPA level or any other related field discipline
- Over two (2) years of experience in an accountant, auditor, or finance officer position;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with fluency English required;
- Somali and English language skills strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial rules and regulations; and
- Knowledge of Excel or advanced accounting systems preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Bilingual in English and Somali
- Experience in working UN, INGOs and Government Institutions
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to email@example.com , Closing date by 25thMay 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Finance Officer MPWRH Jubaland state Somalia & VA-no: 0070/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.