Gender & Youth Officer
Gender & Youth Officer (1 Position)
|Position Title:||Gender & Youth Officer|
|Reporting to:||Project Manager|
|Duty Station:||Dhusamareeb, Somalia|
|Employment period||Dec 2018 (1 year) with the possibility of extension.|
FCA works to enable people to break the circle of poverty and violence. We are a rights-based actor, a Finnish organization with 70 years of experience, with operations in 15 countries. FCA is Finland’s largest NGO in development cooperation and second largest provider of disaster relief. Our action is guided by international human rights standards and principles. We realise our mission and vision through development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and advocacy work. We contribute to positive change by supporting people in the most vulnerable situations within fragile and disaster-affected areas. We consider three thematic areas as central to sustainable change: the right to peace (R2P), livelihood (R2L) and quality education (R2QE).
In Somalia and Somaliland FCA has been working under a right to peace thematic areas since 2008 including governance and reconciliation projects and later has expanded in quality education (R2QE) thematic area.
Primary purpose of the position:
The Gender and Youth Officer will assist Gender and Youth Advisor as well as Project Manager in the design and implementation of gender-sensitive programming across all spheres of the project “Strengthening local governance structures and systems for more accountable and inclusive Federal Member States in support of the Wadajir National Framework”. The gender and Youth Officer will support the integration of gender sensitive programming elements in accordance with global best practices, FCAs gender policy and donor requirements. The Gender and Youth Officer participates in project implementation, project monitoring and evaluation in relation to gender and youth integration in local governance. This include support and coordination with the relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members , civil society and community stakeholders.
Main roles and responsibility:
- Ensure liaison and partnerships with relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members , civil society, community stakeholders and women’s groups in the project areas and ensure that all information and outreach activities of the local governance project involve both women and men;
- In close collaboration with the Gender and Youth Advisor, Project Manager, Program Manager and Senior Governance & Recociliation Manager, ensure gender mainstreaming, gender programming and youth participation in FCAs local governance program.
- Actively participate in Gender relevant working groups in the project target locations.
- Support the Gender and Youth Advisor in the integration of gender sensitive programming elements to the local governance project
- Participates in project implementation, project monitoring and evaluation in relation to gender and youth integration in local governance. This includes support and coordination with the relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members, civil society and community stakeholders.
- Support the capacity building activities to the relevant Ministries of Federal Member States and District Council members, civil society, community stakeholders and women’s groups
- Support local actors to undertake robust community outreach activities on gender mainstreaming, mitigation and response.
- Position upon funding availability only
Competence, experience, skills, knowledge needed
- Bachelor’s degree (holder) in Gender Studies, Human Rights, Law, International Relations/Development, social sciences or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the gender programming; GBV/ Gender/Protection project; most preferably related to peace and state building
- In-depth understanding of gender, age, and other socio-cultural factors in the context of peace and state building
- Experience and demonstrated results in integration of gender and youth in programming
- Proven Analytical skills and experience in designing conceptual tools and operational manuals relevant to gender and youth
- Proven capacity to lead the collection, analysis, and utilization of information from a broad range of sources in order to ensure effective integration of gender and youth concerns in programming
- Ability to facilitate, coordinate and advocate for gender equality across the program
- Knowledge of and experience in design, management and implementation of local governance programming
- Sensitivity to clan dynamics and understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Somalia
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain good collaboration among project staff, partners, other stakeholders and beneficiaries such as women, youth, religious and community leaders
- Experience in working with civil society actors and district peace committees
- Work environment: Field Based position Dhusamareeb
- Considerable amount of travel is required
- Please note that the closing time is 23:59 pm local time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Email or paper applications will not be considered.
Please apply by using the link no later than on 15th of Nov 2018. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis.
Female candidates are highly encouraged!