HEAD OF MISSION SUPPORT
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES – SOMALILAND
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is looking for itsHARGEISA office.
HEAD OF MISSION SUPPORT
Workplace : HARGEISA
Type of contract : Minimum 6 months Fixed term contract // Full time
Start date : 1 December 2018
Main purpose of the position
- Supporting the Head of Mission (HoM) in security and political context monitoring and, contributing to the context analysis, and follow-up of security management.
- Ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities, providing translations and interpretations according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to facilitate the mission coordination tasks.
- Monitoring of political and security context in order to brief HoM and Project Coordinators (PC) on aspects affecting MSF mission security and operations.
- Assisting in context analysis, disseminating relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly informing them on key issues, updating general information on the context for MSF internal documents.
- Analyzing the risks and the security level of the context of the mission and assisting in conducting risk assessments and in the development security plans for the mission and project. Advising the PC and HoM on aspects of security management.
- Analyzing the mission risk analysis and reduction strategy and reviewing the mission practices and tools for security analysis and management in line with MSF’s overall risk reduction strategy. Identifying current and potential vulnerabilities in the security Standard Operating Procedure (structural and managerial) their actual implementation, proposing and applying in agreement with the operational line management, necessary improvements.
- Reporting to the HoM on political and security developments that could affect MSF teams and operations.
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Keeping good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and departments and keeping up to date records of field contacts (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, etc.) verifying that they are easily accessible, in order to facilitate contacts and meetings
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assisting the HoM or representing MSF in meetings (NGOs, official bodies and administrations, etc.) and preparing full report.
- Advising on cultural appropriateness of organized activities and individual behaviors. At the request of the HoM, preparing and conducting an information briefing, focusing on the country cultural context for International Regional and Relocated Staff.
- Translating sensitive documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Writing letters and correspondences with officials and partners and preparing reports, internal memos and formal requests
Education: University degree – law, administration or humanitarian affais
Experience: Experience in humanitarian aid preferably in Medical field.
Essential strong understanding of the workings of the different administrations of the country.
Solid experience in operations and security management at field level (at least one year)
Strong security context analytical skills and capacity to develop strategic vision.
Experience working in political, security and humanitarian issues in Somaliland
Language: Compulsory –Somali and English language level C1minimum –
Knowledge: Computer literacy – Pack office and internet
Competencies: Team work in a multicultural context
Excellent communication and diplomatic skills, including writing skillsDiplomacy
Documents to provide:
- Cover letter in English
- Updated CV in English
- Copies of diploma(s) and work certificate(s) relevant for the position
- ID copy
Deadline for submission of application: 20 November 2018
Mayoury SAVANT, MSF HR coordinator
6 November 2018 – HARGEISA