Head of Programmes and Policies
|Head of Programmes and Policies|
|Directorate:||Programmes and Policies||Job Family:|
|Reports to:||Country Director||Grade:||E+|
|Role Overview:||The purpose of this position is to lead ActionAid Somaliland strategy development as well as managerial, leadership and operational responsibility for the design, development, implementation and management of all programmes and policy advocacy work at theAAS.The position is responsible for co-ordinating programmes, projects and also supports the leadership role of the Country Director.|
|Key Accountabilities / Responsibilities:||Key Activities|
|Strategy Formulation||· Lead in AAISprogramme strategy development, implementation and review processes
· Participate in communicating and monitoring of AAS’s vision, values goals and strategic objectives.
· Ensure quality appraisals and baseline surveys to new and existing programme areas and partners in the country programme.
· Review and input into papers from other CPs and units of AAI
|Programme Development||· Ensure activities meet the organisation’s mission objectives.
· Share information and analysis on issues relevant to national and international mission objectives and key result areas
· Organise capacity building trainings and accompaniments to programme staff onhappenings within the CP and federation
· Overseeing formulation and implementation of programme activities in line with CSP and in accordance
· Facilitate the development and implementation of Programme frameworks on AAS’s innovative concepts
· Participate development of project/programme proposals in accordance with the CSP and donor guidelines;
· Overseeing timely submission of programme reports as agreed with donors and other stakeholders
· Support monitoring, evaluation and learning from programme activities and coordinate the Annual Participatory Review and Reflection Process
· Ensuring AAS programmes are well balanced, well documented and implemented in an effective and efficient manner;
|Advocacy and Campaigns||· Identify key issues and key collaborators for AAS advocacy work
· Support to strengthen working relationships with international NGO and CSO networks, UN agencies, policy makers and build effective alliances to promote AAIS’s advocacy, campaigns objectives, policy priorities and alternatives.
· Ensure that ActionAid global campaigns are adapted to the national and regional (local) context.
· Ensure that local campaigns undertaken by regions and at the national level are well conceptualised.
· Support and contribute the initiatives of advocacy at all levels
· Initiate, direct and co-ordinate the programme activities relating to parliaments or directed at reforms and policies impacting on poverty
|Grant Management and Fundraising||· Work closely with the communications unit to profile the work of AAS at the regional, national and international levels.
· Provide strategic support to managers to identify relevant issues for fundraising purpose in line with CSP.
· Assist in providing information on the evolution and new developments in the donor market and incorporate feasible innovations into AAIS’s programmatic work.
· Participate the development of quality concept notes and proposals with team members and stakeholders.
· Ensure efficient and effective utilization of donor resources to minimise risk and guarantee value for money.
· Ensure timely reporting and documentation to improverelationships and accountability to donors and communities.
· Oversee an effective grant management at all programme level.
· Ensure programme and child sponsorship integration and effectiveness
|Resource Management||· Oversee and support planning and budgetingprocess related activities of ActionAid Somaliland
· Ensure cost effectiveness in reviewing and recommending proposals, budgets and providing feedback.
· Oversee child sponsorship performance and reporting targets
|Relationship Management||· Create strong linkages between the programme and other departments
· Ensure periodic review of strategies for collaborating with partners, networks and platforms
· Ensure AAIS’s best practices are highlighted at national and international fora to raise the organisation’s profile
· Collaborate with AAI federation to maximise effectiveness in programme quality and delivery
· Support to establish and sustain relationships with donors, government and CSOs.
|People management||· Ensure optimal systems exist for managing the performance of teams and individuals
· Coach and mentor staff and partners to improve competencies in core and critical areas.
· Promote effective team work and good working environment by enhancing co-operation with colleagues
· Provide department oversight and directly supervise by reviewingindividual work plan, managing performance, providing induction,training, mentoring and advice.
· Set annual targets for each staff of the Unit in consultation with the staff. Maintain ongoing monitoring of the performance of staff against targets and take corrective steps if targets are not being met.
|Other||· Participate in decision-making at Senior Management Team meetings and explain key decisions and policies of AAIS to staff
· Perform other functions that will be assigned by management from time to time.
|Education &Experience||· Master Degree in social science or relevant areas
· At least 7 years of work experience in the development sector of which 5 must be at a senior management position.
· Experience in managing large programmes,policy work, and working with different donors.
· Experience and knowledge of Somali context.
|Essential knowledge and skills||· Advocacy and campaign
· Ability to develop strategies and framework
· Ability to monitor and evaluate programmes
· Fundraising and lobbying skills
· Project management skills
· Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural, Gender sensitivity, Child sensitivity.
· Abreast with development theories and practice
· Abreast with national development strategies and frameworks
· Strong analytical/Problem solving, and management of crisis, conflict and risk
· Proficiency in English and Somali
· Strong leadership and management skills.
|Desirable Knowledge and Experience||· Knowledge of Human Rights Based Approach (HRBA)|
|Competency||What it looks like|
|Cross-cultural||Knowledge, skills, and affect/motivation that enable individuals to adapt effectively in cross-cultural environments.|
|Risk oriented||Ability to recognize risks and mitigate risks accordingly|
|Planning||The ability to think ahead and decide on courses of action, ensuring that the resources required to implement the action will be available, and scheduling work required to achieve an end result|
|Innovation||The ability to originate, introduce and be open to, new practices, concepts, ideas and change and to continuously improve|
|Integrity||Is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles and uprightness.|
|Communication||The ability to get our points across clearly, both orally and in writing, to ensure we get our key messages across in the right way|
|Collaboration||The ability to work co-operatively and flexibly with others, both within and outside the organisation, demonstrating an understanding of effective team working and partnerships|
|Leadership & Management||The capacity to inspire others to give of their best to achieve a desired result, whilst maintaining effective relationships with individuals and teams as a whole and allocating resources|
|Negotiation skills||Involves being able to discuss and reach a mutually satisfactory agreement.|
|Confidentiality||Ability to abide by a set of rules or a promise that limits access or places restrictions on the release of certain types of information.|
Interested and qualified applicants who meet the required qualification and experiences are invited to submit their CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. The subject heading is Head of Programmes and Policies – Not later than 23rd August at 4:00 pm.