Head section of Registration
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Head section of Registration
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Head of Registration Office for Civil Works Contractors|
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Hirshabelle State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
- The Registrar is responsible for the management and supervision of the operations of the Registration of Civil Works Contractors’ companies. Working through subordinate supervisors, the incumbent is expected to handle multiple responsibilities, solve complex problems and ensure that systems and processes meet service expectations, strategic goals for registrations and registration modalities.
Scope of services
- As this is a key leadership role, within the Registrar’s Office, it is expected that the incumbent will utilize effective communication, problem-solving, and analytical skills, to lead and motivate individuals to work cohesively in a team environment, and be able to understand and represent the position and priorities of the Registrar.
Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to these:
- creating building designs and highly detailed drawings both by hand and by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications
- liaising with construction professionals about the feasibility of potential projects
- working around constraining factors such as town planning legislation, environmental impact and project budget
- working closely with a team of other professionals such as building service engineers, construction managers, quantity surveyors and architectural technologists
- applying for planning permission and advice from governmental new build and legal departments
- writing and presenting reports, proposals, applications and contracts
- specifying the requirements for the project
- Adapting plans according to circumstances and resolving any problems that may arise during construction.
- Prepare preliminary designs of rehabilitation assessment projects.
- The design will include sketches, vignettes and drawings.
- In assistance with ministry of public works, monitor and supervise the projects of the ministry.
- Demarcation and Registration of all houses in the city
- Help the Urban and Rural planners with information needed on proper planning
- Plans, organizes and coordinates formal and informal orientation and training of employees under direct supervision.
- Work closely with the municipality in the registration and documentation of buildings
- Manages personnel issues that arise between performance planning activities.
- Manages and allocates workload when necessary and helps define priorities, approving the use of overtime when necessary.
- Approves, monitors, and reports vacation and other absences for all staff under the direct supervision.
- Any other duties assigned by his/her Supervisor
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- A first-level university degree in Business and Public administration (finance or Accounting option) from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively mid-level management experience with INGO’s in professional accounting and financial management.Work experience in government sector is an advantage.
- Strong written and oral skills in both Somali and English are a requirement.
- Knowledge of basic computer programs such as Word, spread sheet, email and internet search functions are essential. Excellent knowledge in computers literate, proficient with excel is highly preferred in this role.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org,and must be cc’d: email@example.com, closing date by 25thMay, 2019 @12:00pm. Kindly indicate “Head section of Registration (Civil engineer) MPWRH Hirshabelle State Somalia–VA-no0060” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.