HEALTH AND NUTRITION MANAGER
HEALTH AND NUTRITION MANAGER – ERIGAVO
CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities. CARE International is starting health sector interventions to complement ongoing interventions in other sectors. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Health and NutritionManager based in Erigavo with travels to the other field sites.
- Position Summary: The Health and Nutrition Manager will be responsible to guide all Health and Nutrition (H&N) activities in Somaliland program with the aim to further develop and implement CARE H&N strategies. He/She will ensure all aspects of the CARE’s Health and Nutrition are implemented and meet the recommended standards of the Somaliland Government and Somalia/Somaliland cluster. The Manager will be responsible for directly supervising the Health and Nutrition technical team and ensuring that the Nutrition and Health activities meets the intended results. The position will also facilitate health and nutrition activities program through management of community based treatment of malnutrition, as well as curative and preventive and health programming. In addition, provide direction to the program with the aim of developing local capacity to sustain health and nutrition services in the long term.
- Program implementation and management
- Provide overall technical direction and oversight for smooth implementation of CARE Health and Nutrition sectors activities in Somaliland
- Ensure the activities implemented is of high quality and in accordance with the donor requirement
- Manage and supervision of all nutrition and health programming in Somaliland including safe and efficient management of nutrition and health supplies and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with international guidelines for health and nutrition and monitor the quality of services through regular site visits and supervision.
- Promote the development of a sustainable health and nutrition program by offering creative ideas and new approaches to solving problems in this field
- Ensure nutrition and health supplies are accounted for through the logistic management systems for health supplies and the use of beneficiary lists, and scope registrations.
- Play an active role in the upcoming rapid need assessments, SMART surveys and contribute to the development of proposals, budget and project review processes
- Ensure there is no stock outs of health and nutrition supplies
- Maintain clear communication with nutrition and health advisor and ensure monthly program reports are shared.
- Ensure budget utilization is according to the plan and monitor burn rates and follow up on payments
- Program monitoring and data management
- Monitor the changing trends and on regular basis provide updates to the program team
- Support the implementation of timely and accurate data collection systems, monitor data for accuracy, and respond appropriately with programmatic changes as needed to meet targets.
- Ensure up to date data is maintained on the health and nutrition sectors
- Coordination & Representation
- Represent CARE in key and strategic sector meetings to ensure program activities are shared with Health and Nutrition actors
- Coordinate nutrition and health activities with Ministries of Health, UN agencies, other implementing partners and local leadership with a focus on using a community development approach at all stages of program planning and implementation.
- Coordinate with other CARE programs in each field with full support for an integrated approach to community development.
- Staff Supervision and Development
- Supervise CARE Health and Nutrition staff in Somaliland
- Assess staff training needs and make appropriate referrals for training. Where required, organize, facilitate and/or provide on the job training for nutrition and health personnel
- Other duties
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Key contacts/relationships
Key Internal Contacts: Health and Nutrition specialist; Humanitarian Coordinators; Emergency Director, Sector specialists (Protection, WASH); Humanitarian Program Manager; Senior Project Officer and Project Officers.
Key External Contacts: Health and Nutrition sectors partners including the line ministries, UN agencies Health and Nutrition cluster and INGOs working in Health and Nutrition sectors in Somaliland.
- Requirements qualifications and competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in H&N or field related/relevant to international H&N work
Proven technical knowledge and capacity to lead implementation of H&N activities, projects, programs
- At least 2-5 years of experience in nutrition and health programming with at least one year in managing health and nutrition programs in humanitarian setting.
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian standards and practice standards in health and nutrition.
- Good understanding of links between nutrition and health with a project cycle management skill
- Excellent communications skills with an ability to liaise with local authorities, partners, cluster coordination groups.
- Strong Analytic skills and report writing with experience in donor reporting e.g. USAID, DFID, UN Agencies preferred.
- Strong planning and organizational skills; Experience in good project planning and design.
- Demonstrable people management skills and good leadership
- Ability to analyse and articulate information.
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Computer and IT literate with the ability to work with minimum supervision and to deal with problems and issues promptly and efficiently.
- Working conditions:
The Health and Nutrition Manager will be based in Erigavo with field travels to project locations in Somaliland. He/She will be required to comply with and operate within the framework of CARE Somalia safety and security protocols.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to SOMRecruitment@care.org by May 24, 2019. Kindly indicate“HEALTH& NUTRITION MANAGER – ERIGAVO”on the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.