HEALTH FIELD OFFICER (HOSPITAL SUPPORT)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose ICRC exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
HEALTH FIELD OFFICER
About the Job
The Health Field Officer (Hospital Support) develops and implements Hospital program activities and response to emergencies programs in line with the needs in the region and as guided by the Delegation’s objectives. He/she participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Hospital programs, evaluating their impact and making recommendations. Works under the supervision of ICRC Health Coordinator and in close coordination with other Health Officers and the Hospital management team. He/she is responsible for one ICRC supported hospital and is required to support in the field and regularly visit other health care facilities in Kismayo region.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses and monitors implementation of the Hospital programs in accordance to the specific guidelines and procedures
- Ensures ICRC protocols and guidelines are implemented and adhered to in all ICRC supported surgical departments as well as in the isolation units and emergency response areas
- Makes daily visits to the hospital and works in coordination with the different departmental supervisors and the hospital management team
- Makes regular visits to the Stabilization centre to support the Nutrition program implementation
- Follows up on pharmacy inventories, the formulation of the logistics orders and the required process for the replenishment of medical stock at hospital on a weekly basis
- Supports the management of the pharmacy in implementing ICRC pharmacy protocols regarding temperature monitoring and registers
- Oversees general cleaning, hygiene, infection control and sterilization guidelines and ensures that the ICRC guidelines are implemented and identifies areas and strategies for improvement
- Follows up on needs for equipment, maintenance of equipment and if needed replacement in collaboration with the Biomedical Engineer
- Coordinates health activities and Emergency Response Plan with other Health Officers and health actors within the region
- Installs Hygiene and infection control systems, ensures adherence to Universal Precaution practice, identifies gaps and conducts capacity building for the infection control committee
- In collaboration with hospital management identifies the hospital teams training needs and supports in capacity building at the Hospital level
- Contributes to data collection and activities analysis on a weekly/monthly basis and reports on the progress of the programme independently
- Maintains contacts with interlocutors / authorities at the regional level
- Contributes to the quarterly health report as well to the annual planning exercise of the department
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- University Degree in Medicine or Bachelor of Nursing qualification with sound knowledge on surgical hospital care, hospital management, trauma management, nursing care, hygiene management and drug/pharmacy management
- In-depth knowledge of aspects related to emergency response (for example cholera treatment center), infection control, At least 4 years work experience in a similar field of activity
- Significant knowledge of hospital management methodologies, including design, implementation, analysis and reporting
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali
- Strong team leadership skills coupled with excellent analytical and communication skills
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Good knowledge of the Political, Social and Cultural affairs of the assigned environment
- Flexibility and willingness to travel extensively in Somalia and to spend some periods in the field
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 18th August 2019. Clearly indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.