Health Management information systems (HIMS) officer
Position: Health Management information systems (HIMS) officer
Duty Station: Kaysenay Hospital
Reports to: Director of nursing services
Number of Positions: 1
The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization that was founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. It was then recognized by the ICRC in 1969 and in the same year became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent societies.
We are currently seeking applications from experienced professionals to fill the vacant position of Health management information system (HMIS) officer in Kaysenay Hospital.
The HMIS officer will provide support to the Hospital operations and projects by focusing on all aspects of health data capture, storage and analysis with full technical management to ensure effective /quality reporting and communication.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for developing, sourcing, adopting and maintenance of health and nutrition data collection tools, accurate health and nutrition data collection, its compilation, analysis and storage, reporting and communication.
- Collect data from the various sections of the hospital and the on-going projects and ensure that data collected in all surveys is qualitative; ensure that all data is validated and cleaned and as much as is possible verify the authenticity of information collected on appropriate format
- Review data for deficiencies or errors, correct any incompatibilities if possible and check output
- Maintenance of strong relationships with field teams, to ensure quality of data collection.
- Organize and manage hospital medical records
- Update and monitor patients’ files & registration books
- Review and maintain efficient and effective database backup procedures to enable the provision of successful and accurate backups so that any data can be restored quickly and efficiently, ensuring safe and confidential keeping of all hard and soft data produced.
- Manage and update the HIS data base; share important information related to the HIS databases with all relevant staff as required.
- Maintain and make available to field sites all data collection tools/formats and ensure that all project sites utilize uniform forms for data collection in a consistent manner.
- Ensure that analyzed key health data such as on morbidities, mortality and MCH is updated and displayed in all supported health facilities and in offices.
- Write weekly and monthly activity reports and submit to the including updates in designated locations and perform backup operations
- Provide support to Officers on the compilation of evaluation reports complete with statistical analysis.
- Attend regular in-house follow-up discussions/meetings with the hospital team.
- As part of a team, provide a high level of user support through the provision of incident and problem management so that staff can make effective use of systems and equipment.
- Ensure database is updated monthly using consolidated information
- Provision of the technical advice at the design stage of database to facilitate the monitoring on ont-going fine-tuning and evaluation at the later stages.
- Bachelor degree in the field of Health, Management Information System (MIS), Information Technology (IT) or Statistics.
- A minimum of 3 years experience with records and data management using Health Information System Management.
- Strong computer application skills.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of statistical packages (Epi-info, SPSS, excel, STATA etc).
- Training in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Demonstrated understanding of primary health care, HMIS and M&E in humanitarian programmes.
- Experience working in the region.
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding integrity and ethics
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
Skills and Abilities:
- Data Management Skills
- Data Feeding skills
- Data Analysis skills
- Designing skills
- Window installation
- Printer installation
- Router installation
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CV, cover letter, and copy of their certificates to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Applications: December 12, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.