CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities. CARE International is starting health sector interventions to complement ongoing interventions in other sectors. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Health Officer based in Erigavo with travels to the other field sites in Sanaag and Sool Regions.
- She/he will ensure the implementation of a quality health program in the target health facilities and outreach sites in accordance with acceptable national and international standards.
- She/he will provide capacity building and on the job training to health care staff in the health facilities and in the outreach sites and ensure the Somalia standard treatment guidelines and protocols are adhered.
- She/he will collect and analyse health related data from all the health facilities and the outreach sites to ensure accurate and timely data is availed for program decisions and monitoring.
- Work in close collaboration with the MOH regional and district focal points and ensure HMIS reports are submitted accurately and timely by all health facilities.
- Conduct supportive supervision to ensure programme quality, accurate health data reporting and appropriate use of medical drugs
- Compile and submit quality supervision report with action points after each supervision report and follow up on the action points.
- Ensure sufficient supplies are available in all health facilities and there is no stock out by conducting regular stock taking and monitoring.
- Ensure all health facilities have appropriate stock management cards (bin cards) and cross check this with supply consumption registers for any discrepancies.
- Ensure all facilities have basic health equipment’s and registers and raise any requisitions needed.
- Analyse and cross check reports against the registers and health records and ensure they are consistent.
- Ensure supply management from the warehouse to the facility to the beneficiaries are all well documented.
- Submit timely and accurate monthly consumption report for all health teams and sites.
- Maintain accurate and up to date health service data from the HMIS tool and conduct trend analysis.
- Participate and represent CARE in health forums such as health cluster meetings and working groups.
- Participate in planning, coordination and execution of M&E activities such as surveys, monthly and quarterly follow up and quality assurance.
- Compile reports as per programme schedule and participate in documentation of activities within a stipulated deadline.
- Ensure proper documentation of achievements, lessons learnt, and best practices throughout the program implementation.
- Support the development of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
Qualifications and experience
- Essential:Demonstrated experience in health programming with at least 2 years of experience in health or related field.
- Clear understanding of the intersection between health, nutrition, child protection, education, WASH and food security.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of health equipment/supplies, budgets and personnel.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to lead, train and motivate a team
- Experience of and commitment to participatory and consultative management practices
- Experience of and commitment to capacity building of staff
- Experience of working collaboratively with local and national government
- Proven skills in advocacy and representation at coordination level
- Understanding of social relations and commitment to integrate gender, diversity and other power related issues into program activities
- Fluency in English and Somali
- Report writing skills in English, including demonstrable capacity in proposal writing
- IT skills
- Willingness/ability to travel to field locations and live in insecure and challenging environments
Commitment to and understanding of CARE’s aims, values and principles
- A registered Nurse with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing or Diploma in a related field (Nursing, Midwifery) with experience in maternal and New born health (Advanced degree/ Masters in Public Health is desirable).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to SOMRecruitment@care.org by November14th, 2018. Kindly indicate“Health Officer”on the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.