CARE INTERNATIONAL IN SOMALIA.
Emergency Program – Taleex Sool Region.
CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities. CARE International is starting health sector interventions to complement ongoing interventions in other sectors. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Health Officer based in Talex with travels to the other field sites of Sool Region.
- ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reporting to the Health Manager the person will be the focal point for health care services in Sanaag and Sool regions.
- Conduct technical support visits to the health facilities and outreach sites to ensure that maternal and child health services are being provided according to national standards and protocols
- She/he will ensure the implementation of a quality health program in the target health facilities and outreach sites in accordance with acceptable national and international standards.
- She/he will provide capacity building and on the job training to health care staff in the health facilities and in the outreach sites and ensure the Somalia standard treatment guidelines and protocols are adhered
- She/he will collect and analyse health related data from all the health facilities and the outreach sites to ensure accurate and timely data is availed for program decisions and monitoring.
- Work in close collaboration with the MOH regional and district focal points and ensure HMIS reports are submitted accurately and timely by all health facilities using the DHIS tool.
- Conduct supportive supervision to ensure programme quality, accurate health data reporting and appropriate use of medical drugs
- Compile and submit quality supervision report with action points after each supervision report and follow up on the action points.
- Ensure sufficient supplies are available in all health facilities and there is no stock out by conducting regular stock taking and monitoring.
- Ensure all health facilities have appropriate stock management cards (bin cards) and cross check this with supply consumption registers for any discrepancies
- Ensure all facilities have basic health equipment’s and registers and raise any requisitions needed
- Analyze and cross check reports against the registers and health records and ensure they are consistent
- Ensure supply management from the warehouse to the facility to the beneficiaries are all well documented
- Submit timely and accurate monthly consumption report for all health teams and sites
- Maintain accurate and up to date health service data from the HMIS tool and conduct trend analysis
- Participate and represent CARE in health forums such as health cluster meetings and working groups.
- Participate in planning, coordination and execution of M&E activities such as surveys, monthly and quarterly follow up and quality assurance
- Compile reports as per programme schedule and participate in documentation of activities within a stipulated deadline
- Ensure proper documentation of achievements, lessons learnt, and best practices throughout the program implementation.
- Support the development of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A registered Nurse with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing or Diploma in a related field (Nursing, Midwifery) with experience in maternal and New born health (Advanced degree/ Masters in Public Health is desirable)
- Demonstrated experience in health programming with at least 2 years of experience in health or related field
- Sound understanding of the EPHS framework in Somalia and experience in monitoring EPHS programs.
- Clear understanding of the intersection between health, nutrition, child protection, education, WASH and food security.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of health equipment/supplies, budgets and personnel
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to lead, train and motivate a team
- Experience of and commitment to participatory and consultative management practices
- Experience of and commitment to capacity building of staff
- Experience of working collaboratively with local and national government
- Proven skills in advocacy and representation at coordination level
- Understanding of social relations and commitment to integrate gender, diversity and other power related issues into programme activities
- Fluency in English and Somali
- Report writing skills in English, including demonstrable capacity in proposal writing
- IT skills
- Willingness/ability to travel to field locations and live in insecure and challenging environments
- Commitment to and understanding of CARE’s aims, values and principles
How to Apply;
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications with the subject line clearly marked “Health Officer – based in Taleex- Sool region. An updated CV with a comprehensive summary of similar or comparable work should be attached. It should include three (3) referees and be no more than 4 pages. Complete applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21st November 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our
Commitment to the protection of children.