HR & Staff DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
HR & Staff DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||HR & Staff Development Officer|
|Reporting to:||Head of HR|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Southwest State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the Position
- The HR & Staff Development Officer is charged with designing, developing and facilitating HR and development initiatives in the Ministry. He/she will provide relevant input in managing each staff’s career development initiatives.
Scope of Service
Reporting to the Head of HR, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Handling the learning and professional development of the MPWRH Southwest state staff
- Conducting HR and staff development needs assessmentsthrough surveys, research and consultation with the directors and managers
- In collaboration with directors and manager, develop short term staff development programs for the Ministry
- Plan, Execute, Monitor and Control staff development and training sessions;
- Deliver HR &staff development, learning and training sessions or work with service providers to deliver quality staff development identified through staff development needs assessments as pertinent for MPWRH Southwest State staff to perform their duties
- Assist with the development and implementation of Ministry’s strategic plan and Business Improvement Policy and Programs as related to staff development.
Duties and Responsibilities, include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and execute the staff development needs assessments for all staff in close collaboration with other HR colleagues
- Work with managers/supervisors to develop proactive staff development plans for each staff that will prepare the Ministry in meeting its current and future business objectives.
- Schedule training and development programs for all staff
- Assist in developing the training curriculum (short term, medium-long term, continuous, on the job, executive leadership training) and assist in development of training materials
- Support the orientation and induction programs of new employees
- Assist in ensuring that all staff have job descriptions and annual work plans aligned to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), including their unit’s and/or department’s annual work program Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Develop career plans and review career goals, including identifying learning and special skills training for each staff in the Ministry
- Assist in performance management processes by: (i) Ensuring the performance management system is utilized in the Ministry and learning sessions are provided to enable all staff understand the benefits of performance management, and (ii) Ensuring each staff’s performance appraisal is undertaken annually
- On a regular basis, review the competency model of the Ministry with the concerned supervisors
- Support in the identification of scarce/rare skills and propose a mentor for each of these critical talent pool as part of succession planning
- Analysis of human capital risks in the Ministry and develop risk mitigation strategies
- Coordinate and facilitate team building activities
- Conduct job evaluation surveys
- Liaise with directors and managers to interview employees at all levels to identify and assess training and development needs
- Deliver and oversee the training of individuals or groups of employees
- Compile and present HR information.
- Supervise and monitor progress made via training programmes or schemes
- Ensure employees receive required trainings
- Design and assess training programs
- Any other duties assigned by his/her Supervisor.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Diploma/Bachelor Degree, Master or MBA degree in Human Resource or related field; psychology related qualifications would be an asset
- At least three years of professional experience in the area of staff development and training.
- Experience in HR administration and sound knowledge of principles of human resource management and organizational development in a complex and fragile environment
- Knowledge of HR applications, databases, and HR modules
- Good general understanding of the roles and responsibilities of key government ministries and how they interrelate to achieve the National Development Plan
- Demonstrable experience with designing training curriculums and developing training plans
- Ability to make sound/ timely decisions and proven innovative problem solver
- Excellent communicator and facilitator
- Ability to work well as a team and independently
- Superb Report writing skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali. Fluency in English highly desirable.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs including contact information for at least two work-related supervisors as referees to email@example.com , Closing date by 25thMay, 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “HR & Staff Development Officer Southwest State Somalia & VAno: 0089/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.