IMPACT Database Manager
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND ACTED
IMPACT Initiatives (IMPACT) is a leading Geneva-based not-for-profit association, created in 2010 in order to promote more effective aid action and practices. The core activity of IMPACT is to undertake holistic information management across humanitarian program cycles– including but not limited to needs and situation assessments, response monitoring, impact evaluations, and organisational capacity-building. This is done by co-constructing and promoting knowledge, tools, and practices, which enable better decision-making by key aid stakeholders, including UN agencies, INGOS and government bodies, or its inter-agency initiatives. IMPACT’s core activities support resilience and development responses through bilateral partnerships with organisations as well as coordination structures, such as cluster systems.
IMPACT Initiatives, as a non-profit organisation providing institutional support directly to donors, represents an innovative, flexible, and cost-effective option for technical support. IMPACT implements assessment, monitoring & evaluation and organisational capacity building through its inter-agency initiatives, REACH and AGORA. Through the REACH Initiative, (a joint initiative of IMPACT, its sister-organisation ACTED, and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT)), IMPACT conducts needs assessment and monitoring in both sudden onset and protracted crises and facilitates the development of information tools and products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision-making and planning capacity.
IMPACT Will work with Critigen to develop an online-offline database of available government and non-government services for referral of trafficked persons, vulnerable migrants and refugees.
IMPACT, in collaboration with its web development partner Critigen, Expertise France, Sayara International and relevant national stakeholders, will support the optimization of systems through which registration, storage, retrieval, usage and sharing of quality data and information by the National Referral Mechanism (NRM) actors in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia and Sudan. This will be accomplished through the implementation of a comprehensive system composed of an integrated set of collaboratively designed tools and databases linked to a dynamic and secure online/ offline referral platform. The system – designed with usability, sustainability and security as core precepts – will serve as a centralized framework situated under the umbrella of each countries’ NRM coordination body for the provision of referrals for Victims of Human Trafficking to appropriate services.
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
We are currently looking for aIMPACTDatabase Managerto support our IMPACTteam in Kenya/Somalia.
Position: IMPACT Database Manager
Contract duration: 5 months
Location: Nairobi, with travel to Somalia
Starting Date: January 2019 (however this position is contingent on the organization securing funding)
Under the direct line management of the IMPACT Country Coordinator and in close technical coordination with Critigen and other partners, the IMPACT Database Manager Officer will provide direct leadership database implementation activities. The position holder will provide technical support and advice on conceptualization, design and deployment of a database used for mapping, geospatial analysis, web mapping, web applications development and associated tasks.
1. IMPACT Research Cycle
- Building on outputs of other associated workstreams, particularly the development of data collection tools by Sayara international, the DB-M will lead the establishment of an extensive, searchable database capable of supporting the current and future information needs of stakeholders related to reporting and case management obligations
- Work closely with Critigen to integrate database into the dynamic and secure online/ offline referral platform that will be establishing in parallel and built on top of the database structure
- Ensure database supports the development of a robust and flexible reporting framework embedded into the online portal, which will eventually support the harmonization of a case management system across the 3 countries
– The DB-M will work in close coordination with IMPACT country team and its partners to ensure achievement of the overall goals.
- In order to support the development of joint database, tools and processes with IMPACT partners in countries of operation, the DB-M will maintain regular interactions and reporting with key IMPACT partners including cluster lead agencies, government agencies and IMPACT sub-contractors.
3. Confidentiality and Data Protection
- The DB-M will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
4. Training and reporting
- Conduct training workshops for stakeholders on data collection tool use, data upload and integration and dynamic reference platform use; this includes drafting training materials inline with IMPACT documentation standards
- Provide a clear review and analysis of the entire project, including a reflective lessons-learned
- Draft the Final report with close collaboration with Critigen key staff
5. Other tasks
- When not directly supporting this project, the DB-M will support the REACH Kenya and Somalia missions on an ad hoc basis. Tasks will include data analysis, database management, and any others required to ensure the success of the mission;
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or relevant field;
- Minimum of 3 years of documented and relevant experience implementing complex database solutions, preferably in a humanitarian context;
- Considerable experience in databased maintenance, release and security operations;
- Experience working on web development projects and a basic understanding of front-end development platforms, technologies and languages;
- Knowledge of analytical software (R, SPSS, Stata, Tableau, etc) a must;
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development;
- Good team management skills;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements an asset;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Fluency in English required; professional proficiency in Amharic, Arabic and/ or Somali languages a bonus
- Ability to work independently and with a remote team a must.
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on18thDecember 2018 with the subject line“DATABASE MANAGER”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind.
Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.