Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development Advisor
Somalia BUILD Project
Job Title: Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development Advisor
Position Location: BUILD Project,Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates.
TheBringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of election management bodies (EMBs) and other relevant government bodies to administer credible elections; and supporting the development of issue-based and viable political parties.
Position Start Date: Immediately
The Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development Advisor will work closely with the National Independent Electoral Commission (NIEC), to develop, synthesize and promote knowledge sharing activities and resources throughout the institution. The Advisor will develop strategies to capture, share, and apply knowledge and learning generated by the NIEC. They will develop and grow an online and physical library of best practices in electoral processes that can be accessed by members of the NIEC. They will also be responsible for developing and implementing learning modules for NIEC staff.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development Advisorreports to the Chief of Party.
The knowledge management and sustainable development adviser will:
- Lead the development of knowledge management, sustainable development, and learning strategies for the NIEC, which includes sharing of best practices in election management, including:
- Keep accurate records of all activities, workshops and briefings of the NIEC
- Develop and maintain library of electoral best practices, both physical and online
- Develop learning modules for NIEC staff on electoral best practices and management
- Train and mentor project NIEC staff on knowledge management system and approaches.
- Observe and keep records of technical election developments in NIEC
- Contribute to the development of inclusive political processes to improve citizen participation, voice and accountability through electoral processes, civic engagement, and women’s political participation, with a special focus on groups experiencing significant marginalization, including women, youth, persons with disabilities, and indigenous peoples.
- Contribute to building responsive and accountable Electoral Management Body (EMB) to deliver equitable public services at the central and local levels.
- Enhance individual legal right to access information, be more transparent, and inclusive political process.
- Enhance capacity development and electoral awareness in fields such as electoral policy, voter registration, voting, election technology and electoral assistance.
- Report progress with implementation of technical election operations activities that promote guaranteeing election integrity and trust, and ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory, and representative decision-making at all levels.
- Advise and report to BUILD CoP on continuing election development operations at NIEC and propose specific guidelines to tackle imperative challenges.
- Working with BUILD Program Officer:
- Organize and arrange meetings between NIEC Commissioners and staff and BUILD for information sharing and discussions on capacity building priorities and technical operations of NIEC
- Maintain and improve awareness and linkages between NIEC and BUILD programs.
- Operate at NIEC and BUILD Office (two days per week) to interact and design activity programming with NIEC personnel and BUILD team, sharing best practices and drafting technical operations strategy. (Schedules for operating at BUILD office must be submitted with the monthly plans, and the working days will be tracked on the timesheets).
- On a weekly basis, update the COP (and BUILD team) on progress made by NIEC and advise type and level of support NIEC requires from BUILD. Submit weekly progress report, and subject/issue reports as required to the CoP.
- Expend initiative, creativity, and be self-managed and result-oriented.
- Prepare and submit monthly plans and reports to BUILD CoP.
- Other duties as may be assigned by BUILD CoP or delegates.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in political science, international development or related field or equivalent experience;
- At least 3 years’ work experience in one or more areas related to democracy, governance, human and social development, rights of women, gender-based violence in Somalia;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of politics of Somalia; and,
- Written and spoken fluency in Somali and English languages.
This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to email@example.com before 5 PM on Sunday13thJanuary 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.