Laboratory Technician (Two Positions)
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently working in Banadir and Bay/Bakool Regoins.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below Two Positions of Laboratory Technician.
Job Title: Laboratory Technician (Two Positions)
Location: 1 Afgoye Corridor 1 Hudur, Somalia
Lab Technician is expected to be able to perform all laboratory Diagnosis Tests independently, manage laboratory services and ensure internal and external laboratory quality control. The employee will work under the guidance of the doctor in charge of Hudur and will also provide laboratory support to the doctor and the other medical care team where appropriate, recognizing that the effective management of the health centre depends on effective communication and participation of all members of the team
Report to: Lab in Charge
Key Area of responsibility:
- Performs a variety of technical laboratory procedures according to Medical Center, laboratory and national standards to obtain patient specimens to ensure specimen quality used to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Responsible for accurately completing records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases.
- Follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting, and billing procedures
- Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and medical centre personnel
- Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public.
- Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the medical centre and the laboratory
- Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters.
- Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes.
Desirable: Understanding local contexts and dialogues is additional value.
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory sciences
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a busy hospital or referral health Centre laboratory
- Excellent command in Somali/English languages
- Computer skills (Ms word, excel, internet)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 15th November,2018
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.