SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Puntland State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
- The purpose of the position is to initiate, strategize and conceptualise approaches to the Legal issues concerning Ministry. The scope includes engaging with interlocutors for the ministry’s and the main objective is to build greater respect for and understanding of Legal laws governing among the ministry authorities In Puntland state of Somalia.
Scope of services
- The Officer Draft’s legal notes and analyses on legal aspects of working papers, reports, and non-papers related to the objectives and strategies of the MPWRH Puntland state Somalia,
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Provide precise simultaneous interpretation for group legal information sessions as well as for one-on-one individual legal counseling and individual legal case management for the MPWR Puntland State legal team across the Region;
- Occasionally provide written translation when required;
- Support legal team with administrative tasks
- Provide direct technical legal assistance and mentoring the Ministry and project staff cases.
- Manage technical resources such as the Immigration Program Policies Manual. Manage the development and delivery of updated program guidance, considering best practices for immigration ministry staff and project team.
- Develop standardized training requirements and create new and updated policies and materials outlining best legal practices. Organize, prepare and conduct trainings for immigration ministry staff on introductory and advanced in relevant existing law topics.
- Provide remote and on-site support of ministry technical services, including the training and management of volunteers, best practices for screening and scheduling clients, and use of technology to improve workflow and client satisfaction.
- Provide on-site monitoring of legal work, including quality of data collection and tracking; establish tools to assess and report on application of best practices
- Engage with the ministry and project team offices in the planning, development and technical review of existing laws.
- Participate in conferences, coalitions or working groups, collaborative events, and Regional and local calls concerning legal law and access to legal services for the Ministry and Project team
- Recruit, manage, and train legal interns and volunteers as needed
- Report any major legal issues to the Ministry leadership and management
- Collaborate with Ministry and Project colleagues to resolve problems and issues as they arise
- Ensure the observance of the Ministry Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Dynamic and challenging work environment in the humanitarian international set-up.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelors’ degree in Law or equivalent in public international,
- Called to the bar/magistrate an advantage.
- Very good knowledge of Somali national legislation.
- At least 4-5 years’ work experience in a similar function.
- Experience in teaching/dissemination, working in the government or judicial sector is an advantage.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Somali.
- Very good drafting skills and computer proficiency.
- Good knowledge of Somalia Labour Law and disciplinary procedures,
- Strong ethics and reliability,
- Flexibility, enthusiasm and ability to share knowledge and experience,
- Ability to stay calm in difficult situations,
- Respect the importance of confidentiality.
- Experience in working UN, INGOs and Government Institutions
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org , Closing date by 25thMay 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Legal Advisor MPWRH Puntland state Somalia & VA-no: 0079/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.