Legal Officer – Borama, Awdal
Terms of Reference
1 August 2019
Horizon Institute is an NGO that assists governments and non-for-profit institutions to create and take advantage of development and capacity building opportunities to improve justice and governance systems. Horizon’s work lies at the intersection of human rights/rule of law, institution building and locally driven development. We integrate all three approaches to promote locally driven initiatives and implement development projects that result in stronger communities.
The Legal Officer in Borama will support the work of Horizon Institute on the Locally Driven Justice Project. As the Legal Officer in Borama you will lead up Horizon Institute’s legal and institutional work, as well as providing general coordination and oversight when necessary.
The Legal Officer will be based in Borama, Somaliland, with travel within Somaliland.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Somaliland Paralegal Project and Legal Aid
- Coordinate the paralegal work in partnership with the Legal Advisor by:
- Supervising and managing the Borama-based paralegals on a daily basis including Paralegal Aid Clinics and casework;
- Developing paralegal material with the Legal Advisor;
- Assisting in recruiting paralegals;
- Providing legal training to paralegals;
- Maintaining Horizon’s relationship with the targeted justice sector institutions, including prisons, and communities; and
- Coordinating GBV Victims Advocate work.
- Coordinating case referral system.
- Other tasks as identified.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with targeted institutions;
- Represent Horizon at meetings and consultations;
- Any other support as identified.
General Office Oversight and Coordination
- Provide general oversight for staff in Borama office;
- Provide general coordination for meetings when staff and consultants visit the Borama office;
- Any other support as identified by Horizon Institute’s Director.
We are looking for self-motivated and flexible candidates, who can demonstrate a strong passion for justice and human rights.
- A degree in law;
- 5-7 years experience working on issues of justice in Somaliland;
- Familiarity with the justice system and legal procedure;
- Proven experience supervising and guiding subordinates on legal issues and cases in Somaliland;
- Native Somali speaker and proficiency in English;
- Excellent interpersonal, as well as oral and written communication skills;
- Confident with Microsoft Office (including Excel);
- Demonstrated interest in, and knowledge of, the areas in which Horizon works;
- Effectively identify priority tasks and carryout efficient case management;
- Strong capacity for problem solving and taking initiative;
- Proven experience working with and coordinating development initiatives with Somaliland institutions;
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with clients, team members and external stakeholders including justice actors.
- Experience working with NGOs focused on justice, human rights or women’s rights;
- Experience working for Somaliland justice sector institutions;
- Experience practicing law.
Duration of Contract: TBD
Compensation: Competitive rate and health benefits
Deadline for application: 31 August 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV detailing relevant experience and available start date to email@example.com.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.