- General Information
|Reports to:||Secretary General|
|Employer||National Independent Electoral Commission|
|Date of issue||02/01/2019|
|Deadline for application||15/01/2019|
|1. About NIEC:|
National Independent Electoral Commission (NIEC) Constitute a Commission which is established on Article 111G of the provisional constitution of the Federal Republic of Somalia, its mandate is organizing, conducting, and monitoring elections of districts, regional, national, Public referendum and regulating and monitoring Political Parties
- Purpose of the Job:
Under the supervision of the Director of Legal, Research and Public Affairs and the Secretary of General of Somalia’s National Independent Elections Commission (NIEC), the Legal Officer will assist the NIEC in legal matters and activities. The Legal Officer will review/draft relegations, guidelines, code of conduct and all other legal documents as necessary for Electoral Commission and also align any amendments to FSG law, constitution.
- Main responsibilities of the Job:
- Provides legal advice to the Commission & Secretaries of the National Independent Electoral Commission (including overseas missions).
- Review relevant background materials, including laws, regulations, previous assessment reports, project documents and evaluation, practice and strategy notes on elections administration, previous training programs, and materials on elections in Somalia.
- Represents the NIEC on Committees, Boards etc.
- Works with Ministry of Interior for drafting the Electoral law.
- Authenticates documents to be tendered in Foreign Jurisdictions.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders on policy matters regarding the National Independent Electoral Commission.
- Monitoring and reporting the development of all legal and procedural aspects of the electoral process to the Commission.
- Peruses and examines contracts to ensure their legality.
- Review and advise on official papers received from the Parliament, President’s Office, Prime Minister’s Office, Ministry Offices, all other Somali Government Office, International Community, etc.
- Ensuring operational (including training) considerations are reflected in the legal, regulatory and procedural framework of the electoral process;
- Review and revise all the NIEC’s Code of Conduct, Policies and Procedures in consultation with the relevant department including the drafting of new policies and procedures as may be identified during consultations.
- Providing advice and guidance to the National Independent Electoral Commission in respect to all relevant aspects of the electoral law, regulations and procedures for electoral exercise, including relevant codes of conducts.
- Undertake research, where needed, as part of the drafting duties.
- Experience in legal drafting, particularly in legislation, policies, guidelines, contracts etc.
- Excellent negotiation and representational skills
- Prepare an analytical report including recommendations for the Commission about the elections related legal framework.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the NIEC.
- Academic Qualification:
- Advance degree or equivalent in Law or Legal Studies.
- Work experience:
- A minimum of 1 year of progressively responsible experience in project management, public administration, finance, accounting, planning, monitoring and reporting or related areas is required. Experience in electoral operations, budget cycles, financial performance, cost analysis and working within a multicultural environment is desirable
- Experience in providing support to senior government officials on electoral administration matters, including voter registration and election operations;
- Knowledge of FGS policies, regulations, rules, procedures and practices;
- Experience in previous post-conflict elections is an asset;
- Experience working in Somalia is an asset;
- Familiarity with working with an international organization is an asset;
- Preferred skills:
- The incumbent must be an Attorney-at-law OR A Legal Practitioner with (1 – 2) years post-administration experience.
- Good oral and written communication skills. Should be fluent in Somali and English.
- Computer proficiency, including knowledge of database issues and of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others.
- Proven integrity and confidentiality in handling public resources and in executing duties.
- Experience in project/program management with experience influencing leadership and stakeholder management;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, be diplomatic and partner with stakeholders and international teams;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and a passion for his/her work;
- Self-motivated and driven individual with a proven ability to work independently, achieve goals with ambiguity, prioritize work, implementing structure and clarity to a process/program;
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools;
- Written and spoken fluency in Somali and English;
- Application letter
- Updated CV
- Copies of certificates and other supporting documents.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their documents to the following link: https://niec.so/en/jobs . The screening of your application will be conducted based on the information you submitted. Before applying, we strongly suggest that you review your profile to ensure completeness. Note that the closing date for application is Jan 15th, 2019.
“NIEC is an equal opportunity employer”