Livelihoods and Resilience Officer
[Livelihoods and Resilience Officer]
Fixed Contract: up to 31st May 2020
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
Based in Bur’o, Somaliland with frequency travel to the field
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
The livelihoods and resilience officer is responsible for the implementing of DFAT project activities to be carried out in El-afweyn. s/he will lead resilience work of the project. This includes coordination and implementation of community-based DRM interventions. Key deliverables of the person are based on the Oxfam’s commitment to DFAT. Enhanced livelihood diversification for women, men, and youth through the restoration and protection of productive assets, value chains and the uptake and adoption of agricultural technologies will form part of focus area for this person to successfully implement with expected quality and time. The job holder will play a role in linking this project with other SOMREP projects to ensure coordination and complementary among different projects
- Project Development and Management
- To provide support to EFSVL Advisor in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of livelihoods diversification and resilience building work, Food Security and Livelihood (FSL) component under overall Somaliland program / projects focussing on pastoral and agro-pastoral communities in eastern regions of Somaliland
- Provide technical support on vulnerable community of pastoral and agro pastoral community project implemented by Oxfam or partners on the area of livelihoods and resilience work under SOMREP, community capacity building and livelihoods models to be employed.
- Take part direct implementation of partners agreed DFAT project in light with the resilience and livelihoods diversification priorities of the project and implement according to plan and expectation of Donor requirement
- Contributing to project/ programme budget planning and monitoring
- Ensures the effective planning and delivery of projects and / or defined areas of programme, including working with partners
- Problem solving activities related to a defined area, such as a limited geographical area or limited programme sectional area using professional or technical knowledge
- Makes complex technical information accessible and useable by non-specialist within a defined area
- Develop a shared analysis of local issues, contacts and key players
- In case of emergency response, undertake additional responsibilities related to respective functions
- Represent Oxfam in community meetings involving local leaders engaging protection actors in the field;
- Feed into Somrep resilience work, monitor trends and update issues to be presented to higher concerned bodies
- Produce regular reports weekly and monthly and submit to the EFSVL advisor and Burao Programme Manager as well contribute to donor site reports.
- Monitor community root causes of vulnerabilities and proposed appropriate, relevant actions to address them
- Carry out periodic surveys and FGDs to measure progress on livelihoods diversification progress, satisfaction with and engagement of community to district or near by markets
- Livelihoods and resilience building of target community
- The project officer will be responsible to building community-based resilience and livelihoods of drought affected communities with limited coping mechanisms left. The job holder will enhance community-based institutions development to ensure those are the focal points/entry point for strengthened livelihoods work
- Work with other team to strengthen the adoptive and absorptive capacity of the people in collaboration and coordination with various interventions taking place in the same areas
- Lead and implement Community mobilization, Beneficiary selection, verification and registration
- Conduct pre – agriculture baseline survey for pastoralist areas
- Provide GAP training for villagers
- Contribute to the development of CAAPs in the rural setting of Somaliland target locations
- Train agriculture extension volunteers in agriculture techniques skills transfer
- Lead and explore Somaliland Fisher groups by providing necessary trained and equipped
- Provide training on quality control to reduce post-harvest loss and Fishary management (20 individuals)
- Responsible for the establishment of VSLAs, training and pursue regular mentoring to ensure successful and working groups as part of income generation activity and diversification of pastoral livelihood
- Oxfam General
- Actively participate in the implement of Performance Management. Including objective setting, performance review, upward feedback and personal development plans. Ensuring relevant aspects of Oxfam’s work in Somaliland e.g. gender equity is reflected in your objectives.
- Ensure implementation Oxfam Novib operational policies, procedures and guidelines, especially gender equity, in all aspects of Oxfam’s work. With support from technical advisors and programme service staff as needed.
- Be a member of Oxfam’s team; participating in appropriate staff meetings, planning sessions and on-going liaising as needed.
- Required to make sound judgements regularly within agreed processes using technical knowledge, a good understanding of the team and the facilities of the team.
- Communication largely with internal staff, also with some external contacts / target audiences to support operational work.
- Analysis and internal communication of the locally relevant context to inform appropriate planning
- Some analysis and communication of the wider context
- Supervises the work of contractors, partners and junior staff often in area of own specialism.
- Community led program is at the centre of Oxfam work. The job holder is expected to use community led approach that includes community engagement as primary and core approach for the project implementation
- Ensure CMDRM approach is revitalized and used as basic community institution in the process of building the capacity of the people
- Documentation and Representation:
- As part of an integrated team, contribute towards planning and proposal writing in order to provide clear objectives and establish indicators for monitoring and evaluating the programme.
- Contribute to regular reports adhering to OXFAM reporting formats at intervals to be decided by the programme coordinator as direct line manager and the technical advisor. Program implementation
- Ensure strong documentation and visibility are in place and done in consultation with communications team
- Work closely with community committees, local authorities, organize and conduct community consultation meetings and orientation sessions in coordination with Oxfam teams and other partners. Document human stories and capture good photo for program showcasing
Skills and Competence:
- Relevant qualification background – Degree in Disaster risk management and Sustainable development, Agriculture Economics / Veterinary science, Agriculture engineering / Soil & Water Conservation Engineering / NRM
- Excellent understanding & proven / progressive experience (Minimum 5 Years) of planning / designing and managing DRR and FSL interventions in Somaliland context (pastoral & agro-pastoralist community)
- Demonstrable experience of working on DRR, early warning, Contingency plan and resourcing, market related component of livelihood such as value chain management etc.
- Good understanding of the sustainable livelihoods approach and related issues
- Good understanding of cash-based interventions & food aid programmes
- Good understanding of and commitment to linking of relief, recovery and development work in FSL programmes
- Ability to analyse complex development / humanitarian contexts, monitor change and translate into appropriate strategic planning and advocacy
- Demonstrated collaborative approach including working with government actors/officials with good negotiation skills, diplomacy and tact.
- High degree of self-motivation, able to deliver tasks while operating under pressure and in difficult environments
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and ability to work in a variety of cultural contexts
- Well developed interpersonal and team skills which have been able to develop effective multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations
- Fluency in writing and speaking Somali language is essential
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills and experience in facilitating workshops. Good written and spoken English is similarly important.
- Good computer skills (MS-word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point and use of Email and Internet).
- Experience of undertaking VSLAs and mentoring skills
- Excellent computer knowledge and skill of using Microsoft word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Experience of working with international agencies on the same role preferably in Somaliland
- Strong writing skills
Please apply the position by clicking the Apply button. Application Deadline on July 16, 2019, However, applications will be shortlisted as we receive it and interviews will be carried out if necessary, before the end date. Therefore, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and before the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Livelihoods and resilience Officer will be based in Burao but will require the staff to be roving when necessary during emergencies. It is expected that the staff will be travelling to field for at least 50% of the programme duration.