Logistics and Administration Assistant
Logistics and Administration Assistant – Dhusamareb (National Position) – Somalia
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and
internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Founded in 1946, today the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) works in both new and protracted crises across 31 countries. Our 6,000 employees provide life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. NRC specialises in six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation and hygiene. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. We promote and defend their rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena.
NRC’s expert deployment capacity, NORCAP, boasts around 1,000 experts from all over the world who can be deployed within 72 hours. NORCAP experts help improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises.
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Deadline for application: 26/06/2018
Norwegian Refugee Council
Ref. nr.: 3843337430
Full or part time (%): 100%% Full time
Start date: 11/06/2018
End date: 26/06/2018
Number of positions: 1
Administration / Office work
Job location: Dhusamareb
Role and responsibilities:
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention.
- Ensure all procurement processes are in compliance with logistics handbook and donor requirements.
- Preparation of RFQs, getting quotations, prepare bid analysis and upload POs.
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure prompt and accurate delivery of goods and services.
- Assist with Organizing of transport of materials according to procedures on a timely manner
- Manage inventory list for the Dhusamareeb field office and update when new items are bought
- Ensure accurate inventory reports are sent to the logistics coordinator on a timely manner.
- Ensure there is a proper filing system for procurement documents for easier retrieval and when needed and also an archive for old documents.
- Facilitate the receiving and dispatching of supplies and project materials to the respective field offices on a timely manner.
- Fleet management.
- Arrange for staff and visitor’s flight bookings, transport and accommodations.
- Ensure that the telephone bills, electricity and water bills are paid on time
- Ensure that the electricity and water bills are paid on time.
- Ensure adequate inventory of office and guesthouse supplies and consumables
- Supervise and appraise the cleaners and cooks
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisor
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for an individual with Higher National Diploma in Business Administration or Logistics related field preferred
Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role
Experience from working as a Support Function Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Some knowledge of English
Ability to work under pressure
Accuracy and attention to detail
Willingness to work long hours
Basic computer skills (office applications)
Contract period: 12 months with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Dhusamareb
Travel: Some travel must be expected
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the
four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.