Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
Based in Burao, Somaliland with frequency travel to the field
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
TEAM PURPOSE: To deliver efficient, cost effective and quality operations, and technical and professional advice and expertise to develop and implement Oxfam’s strategic roles.
JOB PURPOSE: To strengthen Oxfam’s field responses by managing field level Procurements, warehousing, Assets, Fleet and security; ensuring efficient, transparent and cost-effective management in line with Oxfam policies and procedures.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To take overall responsibility for the management, co-ordination & implementation of logistics roles. This includes procurement, warehouse & stock management, as well as vehicle/fleet management
- Ensure that appropriate measures are taken to implement and monitor programme logistics plans. These should be through the Oxfam logistics, purchasing & supply procedures manual and close collaboration with the other programme support functions (particularly finance) and proactively planning with program teams.
- Ensure that logistical training plans and activities are developed and implemented. This should be targeted at key Oxfam staff and partners on relevant Oxfam logistical policies and procedures and compliance to donor requirements.
- To develop and help implement appropriate logistical plans taking into account a contingency planning process in order to be prepared for any new emergency within the programme as well as closure/scale down of program.
- Provide Monthly logistics reports (Narrative Reports, Assets and Inventory, requisition tracking sheet, and vehicle reports) in a timely manner, feeding into donor reports and ensuring procurement and assets control is done in accordance to donor requirements.
- To assist the Project team with logistics advice during the drawing up of new project proposals.
- Maintain & implement security plans & evacuation procedures to ensure the safety & security of OXFAM staff & assets.
- Perform the role of field level security focal point.
- Effective communication with all relevant departments (particularly programme and finance) on any issues relating to logistics and the associated processes involved
- Establish effective, professional and transparent lines of communication with suppliers.
- Ensure compliance with government, donor, tax policies and procedures and ensure risks are kept to a minimum.
- To perform any other duties reasonably requested by the line manager.
Procurement and Storage
- Ensure field level procurement is conducted in line with Oxfam policies and procedures.
- Contribute to overall procurement plans for field level requirements
- Undertake field and supplier visits, providing guidance and support.
- Ensure adequate specifications are provided from field level for all requisitions
- Provide timely information to the programme department, on local and international procurement by maintaining a requisition tracking system.
- To keep records of all procurement transactions as relevant both electronically and manually for audit trail.
Warehousing & Assets
- Ensure proper storage and warehousing of assets and programme stocks, including proper receiving and issuing of stocks, maintenance of updated bin cards, and regular physical stock taking and spot checks for assets and office equipment as per standard Oxfam systems
- To set up secure, safe warehousing/Rub Hall for field storage of materials for the rainy season including fuel when needed.
- Ensure coding and proper tagging of assets and the maintenance of an up to date and proper asset inventory for Project team equipment.
Transport and communication
- Ensure Field level rental Fleet, Rental Drivers or Oxfam drivers comply with Oxfam vehicle and driver policies and that an effective fleet management system is established with minimum risks to Oxfam.
- Train drivers on security and travel protocols, and standard procedures.
- Oversee the regulation of the use of vehicles and communications equipment.
- Oversee the installation, programming, adequate use and maintenance of communications equipment such as radios, sat-phones, telephones, fax and V-sat or other mode of internet connection in the field.
- Oversee planning of vehicle allocation in order to optimally serve the needs of the programme.
- Oversee the repair and regular maintenance of the fleet in the field where field level servicing is possible.
- To ensure field level monitoring of the fuel consumption and maintenance of Oxfam vehicles (if any) and the skills of the drivers.
Safety and Security
- Monitor and advice on security situation and, together with the Program Manager, support appropriate actions to be undertaken in the field in relation to changes in the security environment.
- Work in close collaboration with the Program Team, Program Manager, and Country Security Manager to monitor and ensure that appropriate physical means are in place to ensure safety/evacuation of staff in their respective duty stations.
- Ensure that Health and safety facilities are in place (Clearly marked exit points, Maintain functional Firefighting Equipment, First Aid Kits, and related installations)
- Responsible for supply of Office utilities such as water, electricity, and related sanitation facilities and ensure timely settlement of bill arising thereof.
- To Ensure adequate supply of Hibernation Kits in case of Emergency.
- Manage a Logistics/Administration Assistant, to ensure efficient office functioning, including management of basic IT equipment, photocopying, scanning, filing, etc
- In line with Oxfam’s performance management cycle, recruit and line manage logistics staff – ensuring staff are clear of their priorities and expectations and that a team vision is developed and shared.
- Prepare job descriptions for logistics staff in consultation with the PM and Country Logistics Manager and participate in the recruitment process
- Training on logistics procedures and participation in the development of work plans of the wider team and partners
- Develop key performance indicators by which localized logistics contracts can be managed.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification from a recognized and accredited institution of higher learning.
- Professional qualification in Logistics, Supply Chain Management or equivalent.
- At least five years practical field operations experience in logistics management with an international NGO in emergency.
- Demonstrable experience in managing as well as supporting/mentoring staff
- Proven experience in establishing and implementing logistics/procurement systems, warehouse and fleet management.
- Good understanding of working with donor requirements (ECHO, UNHCR, etc.) and prior experience of monitoring/managing budgets.
- Proven experience in security management – including developing and implementing security policy/protocol
- Prior experience supporting national partner NGOs with logistics functions, and checking procurement paperwork
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills. The ability to remain calm whilst deal with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- The ability to take the initiative and work independently as well work as a team player – supporting other departments is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal English) and the ability to write clear, concise reports.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s wore
- Able to work in remote logistically challenging operations
- Prior experience in working in WASH projects
- Previous experience in Somaliland.
- Fluency in Somali and English languages (written and spoken)
Please apply the position by clicking the Apply button. Application Deadline on 19th May 2019, However, applications will be shortlisted as we receive it and interviews will be carried out if necessary, before the end date. Therefore, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and before the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.