Media, Communications and Public Relations Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Job Title: Media, Communications and Public Relations Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Creative Associates International Inc.
BUILD Project – Somalia
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defence. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates. TheMedia and Communications and Public Relations Officer NIEC will be embedded in the National Independent Electoral Commission in Villa Somalia and will directly report to the Chairperson.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
In regard to Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of the NIEC in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020.
1 Year renewable
Position Start Date:
The Media, Communications and Public Relations Advisor under the direct supervision of the Chairperson of NIEC acts as a liaison between the organization, the public, and the media. The Advisor will be supported in their responsibilities by BUILD’s International Media Expert.
- Collaborate with the office of the NIEC Chairperson to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on the target audience.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand, and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software.
- Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to management.
The Advisor will be a fully functioning member of the NIEC and will respond to the needs and requirements of the NIEC Chairperson. However, they will be required to provide weekly written reports to the BUILD Election Technical Advisor, through the International Media Expert
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of NIEC and BUILD
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept a wide range of responsibilities;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing training materials and strategies
- Ability to provide technical and political advice to the NIEC leadership
- Excellent communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills, including ability to present sensitive issues /positions, write reports and promote NIEC decisions;
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promote knowledge management in NIEC and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Media, Communications, Political Science, Journalism or related fields with 10 years of experience, or a bachelor’s degree with 15 years of experience
- Professional experience in media relations in Somalia
- Experience of managing media and public relations for government bodies
- Demonstratable understanding of the political context of the FGS and the FMS
- Prior experience in Somalia in particular on previous election management programs a significant advantage.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org 5 PM on June 15, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.