Medical Coordinator (Somali national)
JOBfrom INTERSOS Closing date: 20 May 2019
1. Terms of reference
Job title: Medical Coordinator (Somali national)
Duty station: Mogadishu with frequent travel to the field including Baidoa, Jowhar, Balcaad, Hadwaley, Dinsoor Wajid and Berdale
Starting date: 01/06/2019
Contract duration: 12 Months
Reporting to: Hierarchical): Head of Mission
(Technical): HQ Medical Unit
Advisory role of: Health and Nutrition
2. Job description
A. General context of the project
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a humanitarian organization that works all over the world bringing assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS, with its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively meet the needs of people in crisis, with a particular attention to the vulnerable groups, as women and children. It provides first aid, food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods. It ensures that basic needs, as education, clean water and health, are met.
INTERSOS is intervening in Somalia since 1992 and is present in Mogadishu, Baidoa, Jowhar, Balcaad, Dinsoor, Berdale and Wajid implementing, health and nutrition, protection, wash and education projects.
B. General purpose of the position, responsibilities and tasks
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
Main responsibilities and tasks
• Responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the INTERSOS country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved
• Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
• Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
• Coordinate with the Medical Referent for the validation of the project proposals he/her designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
• Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics manager, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
• In close collaboration with the HR department, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
• Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects. Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
• Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
• Responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting to HQ Medical Referent to ensure a proper monitoring of the program and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs
• Ensure project monitoring tools (PAT) are updated on regular basis and include accurate activity plan, financial plan and procurement plan,
3. Position requirements
• Advanced university degree in medicine or other paramedical studies. Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health
• Minimum 3 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
• Fluent in English and Somali. Multi-language knowledge desirable
• Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
• Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
• Leadership, people management and development
• Strong teamwork and cooperation capacities
• Strategic vision
• Service orientation
• Commitment to INTERSOS principles
• Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
· At least 10 years work experience in humanitarian field in relevant technical disciplines and in coordination position and advisory position.
· Working experience in fragile states
· Previous experience in Somalia is essential
· Knowledge of the cluster system.
· Knowledge of ECHO/UNICEF/SHF/OFDA.. procedures and familiar with their approach and strategies.
· Project Management skills, including financial planning and documentation.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali, good reporting and communication skills are required.
· Previous working experience in Somalia will be an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
Fluency in Somali is required
· Team player
· Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders;
· Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
· Well planned and organized
· Problem-solving skills
· Able to manage heavy work load
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line as “MEDICAL COORDINATOR” by 20th May,2019.
The application should be a cover letter and CV as one document and indicate the title of the position on the subject line this will ensure we capture your application in the right way.
Applications should include contact details of three professional referees. One referee must be the applicant’s Immediate supervisor.
INTERSOS is an Equal Opportunity Employer Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply Only short listed candidates will be contacted.