SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently working in Banadir and Bay/Bakool Regoins.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below Three Positions of Midwife.
Job Title: Midwife((3 Positions)
Location: Hudur, Somalia
The position holder is expected to work in busy maternity unit providing 24 hour BEMONC services to women and newborns. Under the supervision of the midwife in charge of the section the post holder will provide triaging, assessment, Active Management of Third Stage of Labour (AMTSL), resuscitation of women and newborns and provide nursing services.
Report to: Midwife in charge
Key Area of responsibility:
- prepare patients for, and assist with, examinations and treatments
- Supervising and assisting mothers in labour, monitoring the condition of the foetus and using knowledge of drugs and pain management.
- Offering support and advice following events such as miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death.
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records
- monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity
- Provide standard nursing care to patients admitted in the wards
- Communicate with patient and relatives to optimize care and treatment.
- Monitor, record and report to the doctor in charge any symptoms and changes inpatients conditions
- Prepare rooms, sterile instrument and supplies, equipment and supplies, and ensure the stock of supplies is maintained.
- hand items to surgeons during operations.
- Instruct individuals, families and other groups on topics such health education, kangaroo nursing, exclusive breastfeeding, disease prevention and childbirth, and develop health improvement programs
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify and assess patient’s condition
- Administer local, inhalation, intravenous, and other anesthetic
- Perform physical examinations, make tentative diagnoses, and treat patients with minor illness
- To assist when necessary in providing emergency cover outside normal working hours
- To work with senior medical staff so as to develop their supervision, training and management skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Midwifery
- Two years’ experience in busy maternity Hospital or MCH.
- Good counselling and communication skills
- Observing client confidentiality and privacy
- Good experience in BEMONC & Familiarity with CEMONC services
- TRIAGING of women in labour
- Active management of third stage of labour
- Using partograph to manage labour
- Able to manage and organize services in labour room.
- Resuscitate mothers and newborns.
- Organize CEMONC services for women in need
- Link postpartum women and children to immunization services Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- A good communicator with other midwives, doctors, support staff, individuals, families and parapatients.
- Very good organization skills
- Team player
- Able to work with minimal supervision
Desirable: Understanding local contexts and dialogues is additional value.
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 15th November,2018
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.