Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant (2 Positions)
Health Poverty Action (HPA) formerly Known as Health Unlimited works with some of the poorest and most marginalized communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America, often in very difficult environments. We work to enable these communities to achieve improvements to their health, promoting this as one of their fundamental human rights.Spanning almost a quarter of a century; Health Poverty Action’s work has grown to include programmes in 14 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America (with more currently in development). We always prioritise the most poor and the most marginalised – those neglected by governments and almost everyone else. This has led us to work in some very difficult environments, often providing the only external assistance.
HPA Somaliland seeks to recruit competent and dynamic professionals for the positions of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Accountability& Learning (MEAL) Assistant The positions are based in HPA Berbera office with frequent travel to project sites within the Sahil region as detailed bellow;
- Position: Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Assistant (2 Positions)
Duration: 6 Months
Duty Station: Berbera with frequent field travel in Sahil region
Reporting to: MEAL Officer
The position holder will contribute to the implementation of project performance monitoring, evaluation accountability and reporting systems. He/she will promote understanding of MEAL processes to HPA teams, partners, beneficiaries and donors. Working closely with project teams, the position holder will implement tools to ensure beneficiaries are informed of project goal, implementation methodologies, beneficiary selection criteria, project timeline and obligations. He/she will monitor adherence to HPA/donor compliance standards and requirements and will contribute to assessment and baseline processes to promote quality design and to help measure impact.Support, institutional learning and to assist on MEAL, and related research activities with particular emphasis to Integrated Health and Nutrition, SGBV and WASH programmes. He/she will also support the wider HPA Somaliland Programme.
- Assist the development of a programme Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) framework with indicators for output, outcome and impact and, facilitate development of a strategy that informs effective programme delivery by relevant programme staff.
- Support MEAL officer to collect good quality monitoring data in a timely manner and collate/organize data received for reporting to the programme MEAL office.
- With the support of the MEAL officer, participate and undertake baseline, mid-term, end evaluation and other need based reviews / evaluation of ongoing and future programme / projects
- Support fruitful programme coordination and collaboration with central and local government authorities and line ministries particularly MoH to achieve planned results
- Assist the team in preparing monthly, quarterly and other need based programme / project progress reports; with specific reference to data quality, analysis and interpretation
- Support the MEAL officer in the collection and documentation of Best practices
- Support the accountability activities, including the development and use of information materials and the establishment of complaints response mechanism with support from MEAL officer
- Logging complaints received on a daily basis, sharing the complaints log with the MEAL Officer on a weekly basis and processing complaints in a professional and timely manner according to the established system, ensuring that complaints are logged and addressed and that serious complaints relating to abuse, exploitation and corruption and referred appropriately.
- Assist the MEAL officer in the facilitation of learning between the different programmes and contribute to the refinement of the Programmes action plan as well as the Country Strategic Plan
- In case of emergency response, undertake additional responsibilities related to respective functions
- Ensure priority areas such as gender equality mainstreaming are integrated into all Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Mechanisms
Skills and Competence:
- Relevant qualification; BSc in Statistics, Social Sciences, Development studies / Research or related field
- Proven ability & experience in programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability & learning (MEAL) – Minimum 2 years
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent English writing skills
- Fluent in Somali and English languages
- Commitment to overcome poverty and suffering;
- Experience of working effectively within a big international agency, In Health and Nutrition projects/programmes.
- Research background and knowledge of statistical packages(SPSS or STATA)
- Prior experience training/accompanying/learning in the field.
- Experience leading strategy development and implementation monitoring in collaboration with staff
Proven ability to synthesize and distil information from a variety of sources, to draw lessons from project documentation and to summarize complex information accurately and concisely
How to Apply (NB- Please do not apply if you cannot follow these simple instructions);
All Applications should be addressed to: The HR-HPA
Please send an Updated CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating full contact details of at least 3 professional referees.
Please Quote “PPS-HPA-DEC-2018” and the Position you are applying for in the Subject line of your email.
Only applications sent by email will be accepted.
These are national positions. We strongly encourage female candidates to apply for these positions.
Deadline for Submission: Thursday 27th December 2018 at 5.00 PM. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be accepted.
We regret that only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted for interviews.