NEXT ECONOMY BUSINESS ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse.SOS Children’s Village also runs youth empowerment project called “NEXT ECONOMY” for last two years, the project upholds youth who has difficulties to entre labour market through provision of life skills, entrepreneurship skills and employability skills which enables youth to start their own business start-ups or get decent jobs through internship placement.
SOS Currently works in Banadir and Bay/Bakool Regions.
SOSChildren’sVillagesSomaliaisseekingtorecruitThe Next Economy Businees Engagement Officerwho willworkinournext economy projectinMogadishu. TheBusiness Engagement Officerisexpected to contributeto the success of enterpreneurs, creation of business eco-system and support employment seekers linking to the potientail private and public instutions for work experience gaining purpose.
TITLE:NEXT ECONOMY BUSINESS ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
Are you a professional who knows all the ins and outs ofYouth Employment programmes, the African-start up scene, and has a network in corporates? Are you passionate about how businesses, innovation hubs and labs create job opportunities for African youth? Do you see what corporate businesses can do to boost youth employment and what youth can do for corporates? And do you want to use your skills, experience and energy to have a genuine and innovative social impact? Then we want to hear from you!
There are currently 200 million young people in Africa aged 15-24. About 75% of these African Youth belong to the “working poor”. The Next Economy Programme aims to create job opportunities for these young people by stimulating social entrepreneurship. Through this programme weare building a local ecosystem in which(corporate) businesses, youth organisations, innovators, entrepreneurs, business incubation labs,the government and investors unite to get innovative start-ups off the ground and create further employment opportunities for African youth.
Our goal is to inspire, coach, and facilitate young people to start their own businesses, prepare them for a “decent job” at an existing company, or to scale-up a promising start-up. The Next Economy Programme started in 2016 and is part of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs subsidised programme “Local Employment in Africa for Development (LEAD) in Mali, Nigeria, Somaliland and Somalia. The partners of The Next Economy are 1%Club, SOS Children’s Villages, AfriLabs and Business Incubation Labs located in the implementing countries.
The Next Economy is looking for a “Business Engagement Officer”
We are looking for a motivated Business Engagement Officer with an established local network in (corporate) business and knowledge ofyouth employment programmes and business incubation in developing markets. As Business Engagement Officer you will be responsible for involving (corporate) businesses in The Next Economy programme. You will do this by arranging internship placement for TNE youth and creating coaching partnerships for young start-ups.
JOB LOCATION: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Next Economic Project Coordinator
Responsibilities as Business Engagement Officer:
- Setting up relationships with (corporate) businesses by arranging internship placements and coaching partnerships.
- Communicating between stakeholders in The Next Economy alliance (2 other Business Engagement Officers, SOS Children’s Villages and 1%Club).
- Getting the (corporate) business involvement on The Next Economy platform
- Training (corporate) business coaches in how to use the platform and how to set up a coaching relationship.
- Training (corporate) businesses in internships.
- Organising co-creation events for youth and (corporate) businesses.
- Monitoring progress in achieving project goals, and compiling monthly reports.
Who are we looking for?
- You have university education in business administration or economics.
- You have an established network in the local (corporate) business field.
- You’re passionate about start-ups and creation of youth employment opportunities.
- You’re a go-getter and can’t wait to get (corporate) business involved in The Next Economy.
- You have at least 3years’ experience of working in or with (corporate) businesses, business innovation, incubation and acceleration.
- You’re comfortable (and have experience of) working in multidisciplinary international teams.
- You’re an enthusiastic, pragmatic hands-on and can-do kind of person who is a born communicator.
- You’re fluent in English.
What we can offer you
You’ll work in a growing, ambitious international team of hard-working professionals. You’ll be working with different parties and there will be 3 Business Engagement Officer, one in each TNE country. You’ll switch between working atthe local SOS Children’s Villages office and working at a partner hub. Besides that, we hope you will be on the road a lot, wheeling in those partnerships with (corporate) businesses.
That sounds amazing! What’s next?
A more detailed outline of the job can be found in the Terms of Reference. Please download it HERE, or send an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request the ToR.
Please submit your expression of interest, which should include the following:
- Cover letter including your suitability for the assignment and current contact information.
- CV including contact details of 3 referees.
- A short proposal (max 8 pages) based on the ToR provided that includes a clear description of your proposed activities, a work plan, a detailed timeline.
Child Safeguarding Policy:SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email email@example.com,Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 08th December2018
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.