Nutrition and Health Project Coordinator
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently working in Banadir and Bay/Bakool Regoins.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below one position
Job Title: Nutrition and Health Project Coordinator (1 Position)
To coordinate and monitor all project activities in Hudur. Build the capacity of partners to implement voucher programs especially minimizing exclusion and inclusion errors, conducting market, assessments, and exit interviews. The Project Coordinator will keep abreast of state of the art approaches training to ensure the use of technically appropriate evaluation approaches and information systems, consistent with donor requirements.
Report to: Direct Area Manager of Bay & Bakol and dotted line National Program Development Manager based in Mogadishu
Key Area of responsibility:
- Participates in monthly field coordination meetings for nutrition
- Information sharing on levels of malnutrition, admissions, defaulters etc. in order to cross-check trends and develop more effective interventions;
- Sharing of supplies to avoid stock-outs
- Coordinate Nutrition key activities which includes management of severe and moderate acute malnutrition, primarily through preventative community outreach and outpatient malnutrition treatment programs
- Ensure the implementation of nutrition activities in the community through the use of well-trained CNWs,
- Ensure that the health givers are trained in the distribution of rations
- Based on the measurements of each visit, the Programme Coordinator (in consultation with the Nutrition Supervisor) will make an informed decision and take appropriate need based actions including referrals, discharge to another services (from OTP to TSFP) or to the community (from TSFP to community)
- The Project Coordinator will facilitate to advocate for a healthy environment to combat micronutrient deficiencies through hygiene promotion, de-worming to control anemia, malaria control to avoid anemia, and vaccination against measles as part of health and nutrition promotion activities
- The Employee will coordinate the training of health care providers and volunteers on the essential components of the Basic Nutrition Service Package for Somalia
- He/she will participate in strengthening community mobilization and sensitization efforts on the importance of complete immunization uptake for under-five children and expectant mothers
Gender Based Violence
- Be in charge of Protection component which comprises of comprehensive services for survivors of GBV, awareness-raising, training on prevention and response to GBV, issuing dignity supplies, and providing appropriate psychosocial support services.
Facilitates Open Communication within Programme/ Facilities
- Holds regular meetings with all staff to discuss current activities, problems, concerns and new ideas, in order to ensure open communication and co-operation.
- Assists in facilitating effective channels of communication within the facility in order to form a cohesive and supportive team. Helps to overcome communication problems by resolving conflicts, normalizing relationships etc.
- Assists with Human Resources matters including staff orientation programmes coordination for new staff, ensuring that all staff are familiar with their job descriptions, conditions of service, history, principles and philosophy of SOS Children’s Villages and contracts of employment. Identifies & recommends training and development programmes, etc.
- Holds regular reviews and annual performance appraisals with all staff to assess their performance and identify areas for development.
- Upholds the rights and responsibilities of each staff member, ensuring that a positive degree of discipline is maintained.
- Monitors the annual staff leave roster, and ensures that correct procedures are followed prior to approval.
Qualifications and Experience
- The desirable candidate must have Bachelor’s degree in medicine/nutrition/public health with two years’ experience in managing similar project.
- Experience with implementing health and nutrition projects in Bay and Bakool regions is key.
- Masters degree in Public Health is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated competency in project planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, accountability to affected populations and reporting writing skills is key consideration for the position.
- Ability to ensure quality health & nutrition services by implementing relevant guidelines and protocols
- Ability to manage and work with teams
- Proficiency in computer (Ms Word, internet, office, excel, power point)
- People skills such as problem solving & handling conflict
- Report writing skills
Desirable: Understanding local contexts and dialogues is additional value.
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 15th November,2018
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.