Nutrition SMART Survey Consultancy
Nutrition SMART Survey Consultancy – Save the children Somalia
Title: Nutrition Integrated SMART Survey Consultancy
Location: Somalia (Laas-Caanood and Caynabo districts in Sool region)
Timeline: June- July 2018
Key Working Contacts: Researcher Nutrition,Technical Specialist Nutritionand Logistics Supply chain Officer.
Save the children is a key actor in Somalia running both humanitarian and development projects in Somalia, currently SCI implements DRA Horn of Africa Joint Response (Somaliland), this is an integrated program (Nutrition, health and child protection) in the two districts of Laas-Cannod and Caynabo. SCI over the years has taken a lead role in production of research and assessment findings to inform in evidence based programming in Somalia.The nutrition program aims to address the high malnutrition rates through treatment of severe Acutely Malnourished cases, referral of complicated and moderate malnourished cases to appropriate treatment regime run by other stakeholders.
Laas-Cannod and Caynabo district are districts in the Sool region of Somalia in the North Inland pastoral livelihood zone. Economy in these districts is centered primarily on sheep and goat production supported by small herds of camels and very few, if any, cattle.Last surveys conducted by FSNAU (Post Deyr 2017) estimated GAM rates at 14.1% and SAM of 3.1%. The proposed SMART surveys will complement the above surveys adopting integrated approach to cover nutrition sensitive indicators at district level.
SCI approach to survey and surveillance has been of complementary nature to ensure that nutrition information gaps are covered while quality of the surveys are of acceptable standards.
- Overall Survey Objective:
Estimate Nutrition status of children <5, retrospective Mortality rate (CMR and U5MR) and factors influencing nutrition status of children.
2.1 Specific objectives of the survey
Estimate prevalence of acute malnutrition among children 6-59 months.
Determine proxy level of IYCF standard indicators among children 0-23
Asses maternal Nutrition status of WCBA (15-49 years) and PLWs
Estimate Retrospective CMR and U5MR
Establish coverage of vitamin A and deworming among childrenunder-fives?
Estimate rates of handwashing during critical moments
Estimate Key FSL indicators and HH level (HDD, Meal frequency and FCS)
- Draft actionable and localized recommendations based on the findings. Using assessment for action approach clearly indicating the finding, recommendations actions, timelines and responsibility and monitoring.
- Scope of Work
Consultant will be managed by the research associate (nutrition) with support from technical specialist. The consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Developing of survey protocol, presentation to the cluster, nutrition and research department for review and validation.
- Review of existing data collection tool available in the department
- Develop tool for data collection and testing in ODK.
- Recruitment and training of the survey teams both on technical aspect of the survey and use of mobile for data collection.
- Organization of the teams, supervision and daily data quality checks to ensure quality is acceptable and timely feedback is given.
- Data management: Data analysis
- Producing of final report and presentation to key stakeholders.
- Expected deliverables and outputs
Validated Survey protocol
Tools for data collection revised as per feedback.
Raw data sets for all data collected during the survey, including qualitative transcripts
ENA files for each district
PowerPoint presentation of summary of survey findings.
Final survey report validated by the Aim Working group Somalia.
- General conditions of the consultancy
Mode of the payment to the consultant shall be 30% payment before the task begins, 70% after submission and approval of final survey report. The Language of the report must be in English and the survey will take a maximum of 30days.
- Key qualifications and competencies required
- Prior experience in conducting Nutrition, health and WASH assessments specifically SMART surveys to acceptable standards. Having conducted similar assignment in Somalia will be an advantage.
- Understanding of Somali context, emerging issues globally and strong technical nutrition background.
- Proficiency in nutrition data analysis packages specifically ENA, EPI/INFO, and STATA, SPSS or other relevant for analysis of additional indicators.
- Experience in data collection using mobile (ODK) or any other similar platform.
- Strong analytical, communication, reporting and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English, Somali speaking is desirable.
Data and reports collected and developed during the task will exclusively be the property of save the children and cannot be used or reproduced for any other purposes without permission from save the children.
- Proposal submission and Validation
- Interested candidates, company or firms should send their CV indicating prior experience in conducting similar tasks, inception report and budget to email@example.com “SCI_SOOL_SMART SURVEY” as the subject.Deadline for submission is Monday 18thJune2018.