- Job category: Paralegal
- Post date:1 Aug 2019
- Share job:
Paralegal – Hargeisa, Maroodi-Jeex
Terms of Reference
1 August 2019
Horizon Institute is an NGO that assists governments and non-for-profit institutions to create and take advantage of development and capacity building opportunities to improve justice and governance systems. Horizon’s work lies at the intersection of human rights/rule of law, institution building and locally driven development. We integrate all three approaches to promote locally driven initiatives and implement development projects that result in stronger communities.
Horizon’s Somaliland Paralegal Project will facilitate access to justice to Somaliland’s most vulnerable groups, in particular prisoners and women and children in conflict with the law, by delivering basic legal education, and free legal advice and assistance, through the work of paralegals. Horizon’s paralegals will work in Somaliland prisons and courts to assist persons in conflict with the law to navigate the criminal justice system. The specific aims of the project are:
- To ensure that vulnerable persons in conflict with the law have access to advice and information about their legal rights and the opportunity to seek redress;
- To use the evidence gathered from the work of the paralegals to inform the relevant government bodies about the impact of laws and policies and to make recommendations for improvement;
- To create public awareness of human rights and the laws of Somaliland.
Horizon Institute invites applications to fill the position of Paralegal to the Somaliland Paralegal Project from candidates with the necessary qualifications and experience as detailed below.
Paralegals to the Somaliland Paralegal Project will be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland with travel within Somaliland.
Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Advise persons in conflict with the law on Somaliland law and how to use the criminal justice system, making referrals to lawyers when necessary;
- Conduct legal aid clinics in prisons and distribute awareness raising materials to educate the public on human rights, Somaliland’s laws and how to navigate the criminal justice system;
- Screen/conduct intake of remand prisoners, juveniles and women, and other persons in conflict with the law, in places of custody and carry out a prisons census;
- Trace and orient witnesses, relatives, parents/guardians and those who have stood as guarantors, of people in conflict with the law;
- Follow up with prosecutors and judges to set trial dates, ensure case files are transfers and any other task required to speed up processing of cases;
- Assist in organizing and managing coordination meetings for relevant justice sector institutions.
- Any other tasks given by Horizon’s Legal Advisor.
- Desire and demonstrated passion to assist Somaliland’s poor and vulnerable;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and people in need;
- Knowledge of Somaliland’s law and criminal justice system;
- Secondary education;
- Native Somali speaker and proficiency in English;
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Proven inter-personal skills;
- Strong work ethic, ability to learn new skills and team player;
- Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland;
- Ability and willingness to travel within Somaliland.
- University degree in law or other in relevant field of study;
- 2-3 years of post-university work experience.
This position is not restricted to applicants with LLBs. Persons with LLBs and degrees in social work are encouraged to apply.
Duration of Contract: TBD
Compensation: Competitive rate and health benefits
Deadline for application: 17 August 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV detailing relevant experience to email@example.com.
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1512 total views, 2 today