PHP Team Leader
PHP Team Leader
|Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long-term development and humanitarian responses.|
Oxfam, one of the leading global development organizations, mobilizes the power of people against poverty. We are a diverse confederation of 17 strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programs.
Somalia PHPTeam leader
National Position – Somalia/Somaliland Nationals
Burao field office
Starting date as soon as possible
Contract Length- 6 months (possible extension subject to funding)
To provide technical leadership for Public Health Promotion (PHP) aspects of Oxfam’s WASH projects in Somaliland, with a strong focus on providing technical support and guidance to national NGO partners and government authorities in charge of water, sanitation and Hygiene promotion
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- In collaboration with WASH Coordinator PHE TL, jointly assess WASH immediate needs in area where there is emerging need mostly in areas where Oxfam has no presence on the ground or areas where Oxfam is present but has no capacity to assess.
- Provide assessment reports with key recommendations and intervention design (workplan, requisitions, logistics and budget forecasting etc) in coordination with Programme Manager and WASH Coordinator.
- Adapt approaches for implementing community driven mechanism to enhance the targeted population’s capacity to prevent disease outbreak considering cultural context and community engagement, in line with Oxfam team and partners’ capacities. This will take into consideration the humanitarian context and include from the beginning a planned exit strategy
- In collaboration with wash coordinator and HR, recruit and supervise public health promotion staff. This may involve the writing of job profiles, work schedules, objective setting and appraisals. Assist national NGO partners with the same (including potential secondments of staff into Oxfam PHP teams).
- Representing Oxfam in somalia/Somaliland and regional forums as PHP ocal point and actively contribute to networking, representation and decision-making processes
- To liaise and coordinate with Oxfam security team to ensure security risks being considered and mitigation plan is clearly communicated with all the RRT members.
- Prepare BOQ/Budgets, activities planning and timeframe for quick interventions.
- Prepare contract/MoU following donor and Oxfam procurement and financial procedures.
- May be required to support all WASH programmes teams operating at established field bases in somalilandto strengthen and improve programmes in the field, to gap fill for important technical field based staff, join rapid response tasks and capacity build WASH staff in the field as delegated and/or requested by WASH Coordinator and ensure that Programmes are achieving sphere standards and working to increase Accountability.
- A strong focus on providing technical support and capacity building to both Oxfam PHP staff and the staff of national NGO partners, as well as institutional capacity building of national NGO partnerwork to meet Sphere Standards and adheres to Oxfam’s guidelines and protocols
- To provide technical information for proposal &Budget writing and donors reporting in a timely manner.
- Working in close collaboration with engineering colleagues to ensure that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation and malaria control programming are closely integrated and with food security and livelihoods colleagues to maximise the potential for cohesive programming.
- Work with others to ensure that gender, protection and HIV mainstreaming issues are addressed in public health initiatives.
- To report regularly, verbally and in writing to the Programme Manager and WASH Coordinator on the progress of implementation and challenges encountered against targets set, highlighting constraints and proposed solutions to resolve the issues. Ensure key reporting formats and database are up to date and accurate at all times.
- Participate in PHP team briefing/debriefing, weekly PHE/PHP joint meeting and represent in monthly programme meetings. Ensures that all meetings and briefings are productive & action oriented.
- Represent Oxfam at the various coordination meetings at camp, LGA and state levels ensuring compatibility with overall commitments and policy/programme priorities in public health.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Graduate qualification or equivalent in one of the following, or a related discipline: social sciences, environmental or public health, anthropology or community development. Experience can substitute qualifications, but not vice versa
- Minimum of 4 years of practical experience in developing countries in Water, Hygiene and Sanitation Emergency programmes (at least 2 years of it in a humanitarian context).
- Experience on outbreak prevention (Cholera, Measles, Malaria) at community level and knowledge on wash preventive measures.
- Experience of PHP/community engagement capacity building in different cultures and with people of varying educational background.
- Experience of remote support to PHP programmes.
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency situations, in a leadership role. Experience of having led or coordinated inter-agency initiatives would be an advantage.
- Ability to work in a participative way with communities; strong counterpart/ training skills
- Strong assessment, analytical;planning; monito skills.
- Expertise in planning, designing, implementing, monitoring of PHP activities.
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or servi
- Experience of task managing and performance management of small teams and of budget tracking
- Experience of varied approaches to capacity building.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a variety of cultural contexts and communicate with a diverse range of people
- Sound understanding of the importance of gender and participation in programme implementation; sensitive to the needs of displaced and disadvantaged populations.
- Ability to present concise and clear reports within short notice addressing needs/problems and related solutions/recommendations and willingness to share information
- Commitment to Oxfam’s mandate and objectives and able to represent Oxfam
A competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Oxfam is committed to gender balance and diversity. Women, persons with disabilities and persons belonging to minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Please apply the position by clicking the Apply button. Application Deadline on 17th July 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.