SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently works in Banadir and Bay/Bakool Regions.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below one Position
Job Title: Primary Teacher
Location: Based in Mogadishu/Heliwa
The School Teacher greatly contributes to the intellectual, spiritual, moral and physical development of the young children assigned to her class. She thereby plays a critical part in preparing them for future life and independence. In this task, creative teaching methods must be employed to stimulate the child’s natural desire to learn and grow. Special attention must be provided to SOS children, who often lack strong educational support in their home environment.
Report to: Primary Head Teacher
Key Area of responsibility:
- Provides individual attention to each child, monitoring their educational progress and taking appropriate corrective action as necessary.
- Conducts academic support programmes such as holiday classes, remedial classes and individual tutoring to meet the educational needs of each child.
- Develops and implements homework programmes which may include project work, extra reading or other assignments.
- Prepares progress reports for each child as required by the Principal, detailing the child’s academic progress as well as overall development.
- Supervises extra-mural activities such as organized sports, clubs, etc.
- Performs administrative or other extra duties as required by the Principal, such as store keeping, producing the school magazine or organizing school events.
- Maintains all furniture and equipment within the classroom in good order.
- Behaves in an exemplary manner at all times acting as a role model for the children.
- Prepares professional documents and outlines in accordance with the curriculum guidelines or requirements of the school or government.
- Teaches lessons and facilitates or supervises a variety of non-academic activities which may include art, crafts, storytelling, sports, nature walks etc. Ensures all necessary preparations are made prior to each lesson.
- Arranges cultural activities to educate children in local culture and custom
- Involves children in the operations and maintenance of the school property
Qualifications and Experience
- Must have a bachelor degree/diploma/certificate in teaching professional from a recognized teacher straining institution.
- Must have working experience of at least 3 years in primary school.
- Must be fluent in both English and Arabic languages, to be to use both as medium of instruction in teaching.
- Must be able to teach all subjects in primary school
- Knowledge of child growth and development
- Must have knowledge of education system in Somalia.
- Have keen personal interest in Teaching professional
- Knowledge of science laboratory skills will be an added advantage
- Class management skills and problem solve kills
- Knowledge of information technology will an added advantage
- Leadership skills will be an added advantage.
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 28th February,2019
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.