SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Position Title||Procurement Officer|
|Department||Finance and Administration|
|Reporting to||Head of Procurement Section|
|Duration||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Puntland State of Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the Position
The Procurement Officer will help deliver optimum value for money across MPWRH PL state by providing procurement and administrative support to the head of the procurement section. The incumbent will assist the head of the procurement section to ensure that the MPWR&H PL state has clear procurement policies, strategies and guidelines when purchasing goods and services.
Scope of Service
Reporting to the head of procurement section, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Identifying and apply the best practices of procurement and techniques of logistics
- Review and execute procurements foroperations and programs to ensureconsistency with established objectives
- Identify and manage procurement related risks
- Control procurement processes with a specific focus on value for money, quality, efficiency and continuous improvement as well as advice on the application of the most suitable procurement method for a procurement request
- Resources are used efficiently and effectively and are adequately protected.
- The integrity of procurement, managerial and operational information is maintained and managed appropriately.
- Employees comply with Ministry of Public Work PL state Procurement policies, standards and procedures, as well as applicable laws and regulations
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews transactions for adequate specifications and scope of work, proper descriptions and completeness of information.
- Determine appropriate procurement contract type and solicitation model.
- Prepares the right solicitation document such as invitations for bids, requests for proposals, request for information and prequalification, creating purchase orders, evaluating bids and making awards.
- Conducts pre/bid/proposal conferences.
- Answers questions of the bidders
- Conducts a preliminary review of bids and proposals.
- Reviews the technical evaluation process to ensure consistency, accuracy, compliance with the solicitation and compliance with MPWRH PL staterules and regulations as well as applicable procurement related laws, rules and regulations.
- Conducts a cost and price analysis for the received offers/proposals.
- Prepares the award packages and secures the necessary approvals and consents depending on the procurement type and threshold.
- Prepares a thorough and comprehensive award file with all supporting documents.
- Proactively works to develop procurement plans in accordance with the applicable Somali laws, rules and regulations
- Contacts vendors to resolve contractual problems and to gain knowledge of the products, sources, prices, marketing practices.
- Any other tasks assigned by the procurement department head.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor degree in Procurement, Logistics, Accounting or Finance from recognized University
- At least 3 years of experience in procurement
- Solid understanding of risk and control concepts.
- Ability to apply these concepts to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of Procurement processes and controls to mitigate risk to tolerance levels defined by management
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office, applicable software and databases
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data and to compile detailed reports
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- High ethical standards and sound independent judgement
- Good interpersonal skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal) with all levels within the ministry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Somali and preferably English.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org , Closing date by 25th May, 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Procurement officer MPWRH PL state & VAno 0080/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.