Position Title: Program Assistant
Duty station: Galkacyo
Position Category: Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps and Mercy USA having identified education as a priority need in Somalia (South and Central Regions, Puntland and Somaliland), have formed the Wax Bar Carruurta Soomaaliyeed (Educate Somali Children) Consortium (ESCC) to support integrated and innovative approaches to develop education in Somalia (South and Central Regions, Puntland and Somaliland). In line with the mission, vision and goals of Educate a Child (EAC) , the mandate of the Wax Bar Carruurta Soomaaliyeed Consortium is to increase access to high-quality, sustainable education for the children of Somalia (South and Central Regions, Puntland and Somaliland). With vast experience implementing education programs in Somalia (South and Central Regions, Puntland and Somaliland) and strong on-the-ground presence in all three zones (over 15 independently operated field offices), the consortium herein allows each partner to leverage best practices, complement each other, enhance program learning and build on existing relationships with communities and governments for the best possible result in line with EAC’s mandate.
[Describe overview of job missioGENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of the Field EAC project coordinator (FPC), the program assistant will be responsible for assisting the FPC in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of EAC program in Somalia. S/he will assist the FPC and infrastructure engineers in overall management and implementation of EAC education program activities including support to consortium members and other local partners. S/he will work with other EAC program staff to ensure that resources of the program meet its targets and deliverables on time and that beneficiary communities and government departments are sensitized and mobilized.
Under the direction and guidance of the FPC and the PM and in liaison with other program staff, the PA is expected to perform the following job functions: –
- Program Planning
- Implement plans for the implementation of EAC activities in Galkayo
- Prepare plans for capacity building and training of Community Education Committees [CECs], teachers, head teachers, students, communities and the Ministry of Education on various trainings needs e.g. teacher training, CEC training, MoE capacity trainings, NFE trainings etc.
- Develop an improvement plan for teaching and learning in target schools and communities by conducting school based surveys to identify training and instructional materials required
- Work with the M&E officers to develop and improve effective monitoring plans and tools
- Work collaboratively with other program staff to design criteria for selection of program beneficiaries
- Program Implementation
- Ensure that EAC activities are implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and with the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels
- In collaboration with the FPC PO and PM, implement programs and activities to improve teaching and learning in target schools e.g. teacher training and supervision, working with schools to prioritize and acquire essential teaching and learning material etc.
- Together with school communities and MoE staff, implement strategies to improve enrollment, retention and completion, especially for girls, in target schools
- Ensure that MC and its partners implement project activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
- Coordinate implementation of Community Education Committees trainings and other capacity building programs
- Design and implement programs to promote student participation in school e.g. clubs and sports, and other forums
- Assist the P.O and FC in the development of a modality of strengthening and improving management of schools’ committees through community mobilization; improvement of CECs training materials; developing a screening criterion for merit awards on school grants etc.
- Together with the PO and FC and other program staff, implement programs to improve the role of the Ministry of Education in managing education e.g. conducting needs assessment and training, field visits, equipment and stationery support etc
- Ensure effective and efficient distribution of any material procured under the EAC program to target beneficiaries and maintain appropriate documentation for the same
- Coordination and collaboration
- Represent Mercy Corps in zonal inter-agency educational coordination meetings
- Establish good working relationship with respective regional/district level MoE offices, respective community education committees [CECs] and target communities;
- Liaise with zonal teacher training institutes for future engagement to train teachers in a more sustainable manner;
- Collaborate with EAC partners on program implementation and ensure that they fully take part in joint planning, managing and monitoring of project activities.
- Reporting, Monitoring & Evaluation
In collaboration and liaison with the M&E staff, FC and the PM, the Program assistant will:
- Prepare program-monitoring tools to track activities and monitor achievement of objectives and impact of the program;
- Ensure that field based monitoring data and information is collected and collated on weekly basis and made available to EPM and M&E staff for reporting and monitoring purposes;
- Assist PO and FC in preparation of periodic progress reports on a timely basis for Mercy Corps, donors, government ministries and other stakeholders;
- Verify completeness/appropriateness of partners’ reports based on the field visits;
- Ensure that good practices and lessons are documented and shared with M&E and finally with FPC and PM for wider circulation;
- Travel to all EAC field project sites to conduct regular monitoring of projects quality together with other project team.
- Team building
- Create an atmosphere where team work is nurtured, appreciated and enhanced in order to increase individual performance expectations and room for feedback.
- Program Support Operations
- Coordinate with program support departments to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics (transport, warehousing and asset management), procurement, security, administration and human resources;
- Coordinate with other Mercy Corps’ programs to ensure smooth and efficient implementation of the EAC program.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities.
- Organizational Learning
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Field Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Director, other program staff, Infrastructure Advisor, Grants Manager, Human Resource Officer, Field Program and support staff, other Program Managers in-country where required.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the whole project cycle
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree or equivalent preferably in Education or other relevant field.
- At least 1 year of experience work in education programs in conflict and post conflict contexts including one year in a similar position or another senior level.
- Proven experience of working with project teams, measuring performance and building capacity.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report writing and editing.
- Strong experience in planning, management and organizational skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Practical and demonstrable skills in project need assessment, implementation, teacher training, CEC training/support, project monitoring and evaluation.
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others) and line ministries.
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian law and protection principles
- Excellent computer skills required
- Flexibility to operate in all regions of Somalia
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications should submit their CV and Motivation letter to email@example.com not later than January 16th 2019. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for the Interview