Program Officer -EMBs
BUILD Project– Somalia
Job Title: Program Officer -EMBs
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia.The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia and Somaliland by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
In regards to Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of key stakeholders in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020.These key stakeholders include: Somalia’s election management body (EMB) – the National Independent Electoral Commission (NIEC) –the Ministry of Interior and Federal Affairs (MoIFA), other relevant Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) bodies, as well as critical non-state actors such as political parties, civil society organizations and the media.
Project Duration: 5 years
Position Start Date: Immediately
Working under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party in Mogadishu, the Program Officer – EMBs provides support for the development and implementation of a range of technical assistance and other project activities with the NIEC, MoIFA and other governmental and non-governmental actors involved in Somalia’s electoral development process culminating in the one-person-one-vote elections planned for 2020.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Program Officer (EMB)reports to theDeputy Chief of Party resident in Mogadishu.
- Work with the Deputy Chief of Party to support the design and implementation of a range of technical assistance and small grant activities related to the BUILD Project’s Objective 2: support to NIEC, MoIFA and other FGS entities involved in the development and implementation of the electoral process. Specific areas of support may include: voter/civic education, planning and technical assistance to the development of legal and regulatory frameworks, election administration capacity development, political party development in Somalia.
- Provides technical support to other BUILD Project staffin the development and preparation of annual work plans and budgets, key results-based reports, and additional reports in consultation with partners.
- Ensures compliance with policies, procedures and regulations
- Builds and maintains strategic and cooperative relationships with key EMB partners, networks and engages these individuals and organizations on a regular basis to gather their feedback and input to the planning, implementation and tracking of results.
- Contributes to the development of the project’s monitoring and evaluation framework in collaboration with the M & E Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree related to political science, public administration, international development
- Substantial experience with programming related to host-country government entities as well as civil society organizations within the context of international development, particularly USAID-funded activities
- Experience in the design and delivery of capacity development, technical assistance and public outreach interventions
- Field experience at a national, regional or international level is essential
- A good understanding of the FGS, the constitutional review process, local civil society organizations and the field of participatory governance
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal in both Somali and English
- Advanced computer skills, particularly MS Office (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Well-organized, resourceful with good planning and problem-solving abilities
- A team player, flexible, quick-thinking and able to work well under pressure
This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to email@example.com before 5 PM on Sunday17thMarch, 2017. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.