Program/Research Associate – Women and Security in Somalia
Somalia BUILD Project
Job Title: Program/Research Associate – Women and Security in Somalia
Position Location: BUILD Project,Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates.
TheBringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of election management bodies (EMBs) and other relevant government bodies to administer credible elections; and supporting the development of issue-based and viable political parties.
Position Start Date:
Assist with conduct of inquiry into prevailing conditions related to women and security in Somalia with specific reference to women’s ability to participate in public affairs. This issue is especially pertinent in light of the ongoing constitutional review and preparations for the conduct of one person, one vote elections. Specific areas of inquiry may include stakeholder analysis of key government and non-government actors in the field, survey of key ongoing activities and programs to improve women’s security and ability to access public or political participation, analysis of key challenges to women’s security, and identification of steps to mitigate threats to women in forthcoming election preparations.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The Program/Research Associate reports to the Chief of Party.
Working under the direct supervision of the Chief of Party, the primary responsibilities of the Program/Research Associateinclude, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide contextual knowledge and analysis on the subject of research;
- Participate in the design of the research methodology (e.g. research questions for key informant interviews);
- Assist with identification of key informants and organizations, acquire contact details, make appointments and assist in maintenance of overall schedule of meetings;
- Participate in interviews, focus groups, seminars or other meetings as required;
- Provide Somali-English translation of written documents and interpretation during interviews and meetings as required;
- Review documents;
- Data collection;
- Actively participate in conducting the analysis of the outcomes as agreed with the team;
- Draft related parts of interview notes and,
- Assist the team leader in finalizing document through incorporating suggestions received on draft related to his/her assigned sections.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in political science, international development or related field or equivalent experience;
- At least 3 years’ work experience in one or more areas related to democracy, governance, human and social development, rights of women, gender-based violence in Somalia;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of politics of Somalia; and,
- Written and spoken fluency in Somali and English languages.
This position description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of the position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed appropriate and necessary.
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to email@example.com before 5 PM on Thursday 6thSeptember 2018. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.