SHABELLE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION (SHACDO)
Position: Programme Engineer
Report to: Senior Field Officer
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER:SHACDO/PE/043/2019,
Shabelle Community Development Organization (SHACDO) is a local nongovernmental humanitarian and development organization which has its headquarters in Afgoye District, Lower Shebelle and sub project office in Mogadishu. SHACDO is mandated to assist vulnerable communities living in their operational area to achieve major improvement in their lives. SHACDO prioritizes to identify the most appropriate targets for their projects where the poorest communities are suffering most. Pursuant to this mission, SHACDO in partner with CONCERN Worldwide is implementing a number of projects to in Lower Shabelle Region. As part of this and subject to availability of the fund SHACDO is looking a qualified Programme Engineer for their programmes. The Engineer will be based in Afgoye with frequently travel to programme areas in lower Shabelle region.
The Program Engineer will provide technical support towards the implementation of programme activities ensuring program obligations are realized, accounted for, documented and reported as per the contractual expectations in accordance with SHACDO programming principles/standards and donors’ contractual obligations. He will be responsible for designing, implementing and monitoring of the constructions activities of the Program as well as WASH activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct technical assessment where the construction is being implementing
- On the bases of outcome of the technical assessment develop the infrastructure design and cost estimation
- Ensure all infrastructure and BOQ’s are in line with local standards and local market values
- Certification of works, ensuring quality and quantity of works, based on drawings, specifications and contractual stipulations
- Identify partner technical capacity needs and provide where strategic partners are in need
- Ensure partners and contractors compliance with the organizational construction quality and accountability commitments
- Ensuring contactor compliance to SHACDO and donor policies
- Ensure that security management protocols and procedures are applied in any activity
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine activity feasibility.
- Test soils and materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Supervise all construction activities including on-site checks of the execution of civil works, and of quality and quantity control, and provide advice on remedial actions as required
- Undertake any additional work assigned by the line manager
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree of civil engineering
- Minimum experience of 3 years in similar position or working with construction and WASH related activities
- Experience in preparation of construction design and monitoring
- Experience with BoQ development, budget planning and expenditures monitoring
- Good knowledge of and skills in using participatory methodologies and approaches
- Excellent written and spoken English, fluent Somali. Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ad enthusiasm about improving and increasing construction opportunities in Lower Shabelle
- Strong computer skills at least on word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Strong in engineering software skills like AutoCAD and etc
- Flexibility and ability to carry out additional duties and tasks as required and adapt to a changing operational environment
- Innovative and pro-active with a positive attitude
- A COMPETITIVE SALARY WILL BE PAID FOR THIS POSITION
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should apply by submitting their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Shacdo’s Office, near Aden Abdulle Hospital, KM5 Mini Road, Wadajir district, Benadir, Somalia with the subject line and vacancy notice number “Application for Programme Engineer” The closing date for application is 17th November 2019. Applications and CVs submitted after deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.