Position Title : Programme Manager (Migrant Response Centre (MRC))
Duty Station : Obock, Djibouti
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and
inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female
candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all
IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered
before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba;
El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See;
Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic
(the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of);
Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint
Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa;
Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname;
Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Chief of
Mission in IOM Djibouti, the successful candidate will contribute to IOM Djibouti’s Migrant flows
Monitoring and Assistance Operations, within the scope of the multi-regional response to
Yemen’s crisis and IOM support to the Government of Djibouti efforts in addressing the
challenges derived from the complex migratory flows going through the country and specifically
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Oversee the day to day operations of the IOM Migrant Response Centre (MRC) premises in
Obock (Djibouti), checking that humanitarian, health, operational, privacy and security standards
are upheld at all times.
2. Supervise all MRC staff performance, improve their understanding of IOM work, migrant’s
assistance and increase their capacity to respond to major migrants’ influxes.
3. Coordinate the evacuation missions from Yemen with IOM Ethiopia, Yemen and the
de-confliction office in Saudi Arabia, Coordinate the SC for the movements, informing relevant
Government partners and plan the On-ward transportation of migrants from Djibouti in
coordination with MRC Senior Operation Assistant
4. Ensure the provision of adequate reception, feeding and WASH services to the migrants
always hosted at the MRC. Supervise and monitor a sustainable migrant registration system
compatible with the requirements of IOM’s online data bases.
5. In coordination with IOM Djibouti OPS unit, liaise with relevant Government and Security
officials, Migration and port Authorities, Office National d’Assistance aux Réfugiés et Sinistrés
(ONARS), Governor, donors, implementing partners and service providers on the day to day
operations of the MRC. Represent the IOM MRC in Obock with United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), DRC, World Health Organization (WHO), World Food
Programme (WFP) and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and other visiting delegations
and officials. Facilitate adequate IOM and donor visibility as required.
6. Coordinate with the IOM offices in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Yemen and the regional office in Kenya,
as well as with relevant Government, Immigration and Security officials on the IOM operations
relative to the evacuation, transit and onward transportation of stranded migrants evacuated
from Yemen to Obock port.
7. In coordination with the IOM Djibouti and other relevant protection staff in the region,
endeavour to improve data collection on complex and mixed migration flows.
8. Pursue the improvement of health and protection programming in and around the MRC,
including psycho-social support for vulnerable migrants (in coordination with Djibouti MHD Unit)
and establishment of ambulance patrols for life-saving assistance to vulnerable migrants.
9. Ensure and oversee financial and administrative management of the MRC in line with
budgeted and allocated resources, IOM financial and administrative standards, and in close
coordination with the relevant units in IOM Djibouti. Ensure that the MRC cash book and
inventory of equipment are established and regularly updated; coordinate with IOM Djibouti
procurement on all service and equipment provision, according to IOM bidding procedures;
ensure maintenance and care of all office assets.
10. Ensure that the MRC follows established instructions and guidelines on project monitoring
and implementation methodologies; follow IOM Djibouti established narrative and financial
reporting obligations; suggest and contribute to the development of further actions to enhance
11. Attend security meetings, ensure compliance with United Nations Department of Safety and
Security (UNDSS) established standards and report significant security issues and incidents to
the local security assistant and the Chief of Mission.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, Mathematics,
Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant
professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Relevant years of professional experience in the field of migration and refugee assistance,
relief activities targeting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), returnees, conflict-affected
communities and vulnerable migrants;
• One year of experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
• Experience in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs)/refugee protection or relevant human rights
and legal experience;
• Good level of computer literacy.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and working knowledge of English is required (oral and
written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview. Other:
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
Posting period: From 04.09.2019 to 17.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2019/253 (P) – Programme Manager (MRC) (P2) – Obock, Djibouti
Posting: Posting NC56098798 (56098798) Released