Position: Project Assistant
Location: Galkacyo, Somalia with frequently travel to project locations
Reports to: Project Officer
Background: Relief International is a leading non-profit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The proposed 12-month intervention will improve access to quality education, increase access toCritical WASH inputs and enhance child protection mechanisms in 31 schools for drought- and conflict affected Students and their surrounding communities in Bari (Bareeda, Habo, Bargal, Qandala, Ufyan,Alula and Iskushuban districts) and Mudug regions (Galkayo district) of Puntland State of Somalia.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Spend 70% of time in field for different project activities in targeted schools & Communities under SHF.
- Aware and mobilize communities and conduct meetings with community members Including children, parents, teachers etc.
- Create awareness among the communities through Broad Based Community Meetings.
- Aware and mobilize Community Education Committees of schools on their roles and Responsibilities.
- Keep close coordination with CEC in developing action plans & regular follow ups of ongoing Actions plan.
- Assist community members to identify their needs and to generate solutions, identifying Priority issues and to analyse their problems specifically related to education.
- To raise and enhance awareness to community Education Committees to develop project and improve coordination at deference level.
- Arrange community meetings for the project implementation.
- Assist the Project officer in identification of project beneficiaries with close coordination with community leaders.
- To submit monthly field visit plan & reports by collection of information and data from the field, data analysis and report documentation to the Project officer Organize & conduct different trainings at village/school level.
- Work with RI project team and stakeholders to ensure that all program activities comply with RI policies.
- Develop positive relations with all key actors in project area
- Conduct joint training needs assessment and data collection survey as & when needed.
- Represent RI in the project with stakeholders and community at the highest standard to ensure strong acceptance and implementation support for activities.
- Keep close coordination with Socio Behavior Change Communications Coordinator for technical assistance on community engagement activities.
- Under the guidance of project Case worker in their jurisdiction, in collaboration with school child protection focal point plan and support the implementation of recreational and play therapy in all target schools.
- Under the guidance of Social and Behavior Change Communication Coordinator, CP Coordinator for technical support and Project Case worker, conduct community dialogue meetings, sensitization as well as follow up action plans agreed in the previous meetings on prevention and response to protection and safety concerns in target schools and communities.
- Support case workers in conducting trainings for CEC/head teachers, school Child Protection focal points and CPC as well as conduct follow up of implementation of school child protection action plan.
- In consultation with caseworkers and project officer, support in establishment, operationalizing and follow up of leadership networks in schools and protection messaging targeting all learners in target schools.
- Support case worker and CPC in family tracing, reunification and follow up work for the Unaccompanied and Separated Children(UASC).
- Support the case worker in follow up of the CPC and service providers in target areas, including participating in the CPC and service providers review meetings.
- Support the case worker in conducting and follow up of parenting sessions on caregiving and PSS in the target schools
- Assist project officer in development of month/quarterly work plan.
- Assist Project officer in preparation of periodic narrative and other related reports.
- Perform duties pertaining to the project administration including collecting and inputting data into database, developing and maintaining project deliverables under the direction of the project officer, monitoring the progress of project activities on behalf of the project officer.
- Perform any other duties assigned by Supervisor.
- Understand and adhere to Relief International established policies and procedures for administration, finance, procurement, data management and beneficiary data protection, child protection, Code of Conduct (including Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Harassment) and security management;
- Reinforcing and ensuring compliance to policies and procedures and support of Child protection Focal Point;
- Be flexible and willing to support the team as is needed.
- Bachelor degree in social sciences or related discipline.
- Demonstrated 2 years of overall experience in implementation of emergency response project with specific focus on community engagement.
- Excellent mobilization skills;
- Computer Literate – Microsoft Office;
- Teamwork Skills;
Relief international’s values:
Relief International (RI) is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those that we interact with in the course of our work to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) six core principles on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). RI has zero tolerance to beneficiaries’ and staff abuse and exploitation.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should send their applications (CV and cover letter with 3 referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicatethetitle as “Project Assistant SHF, Galkacyo”in thesubjectline.
The closing date for applications is May21, 2019. Only qualified and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
RI is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.