Position Title: Project Engineer
Duty station: Mogadishu
Position Category: Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps an International NGO implementing programs in all regions of Somalia is currently recruiting for position of Project Engineer based in Mogadishu office. Successful candidates who meet the education and experience requirements for the position description below and have strong knowledge of spoken and written English and knowledge of Somalia, local languages, geography are invited to apply.
[Describe overview of job missioGENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Project Engineer (PE) will organize all activities related to the implementation of water and education programs including school infrastructure development projects, from tender to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. S/he will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of all classroom construction and water supply and sanitation program activities and associated administrative tasks. The PE will supervise site supervisors in order to effectively monitor projects. S/he will manage in consultation with the Program Manager and the Infrastructure Manager all engineering activities in the assigned regions. S/he will coordinate closely with Local Administrations, community leaders, Community Education Committees and other stakeholders to achieve the construction goals and ensure that communities are mobilized in a participatory way. S/he will report to the Infrastructure Manager. S/he will show full adherence to MC procedures and security protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining MC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
- Ensure community involvement in all phases of the project (identification, design, implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with Infrastructure Program Manager and other key technical staff.
- In coordination with the infrastructure manager, assist in the preparation of designs and bill of quantities (BOQS) for water and education infrastructure works.
- In cooperation with the Program Manager and the Infrastructure manager, assist with development work plans for the implementation of infrastructure activities in the assigned regions in Somalia.
- Plan for support needs over the course of the programs, and work schedules (timelines) for the various phases of the programs.
- Assist in completing standard Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with community representatives and local authorities for each community identified for project activities. Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to.
- Implement projects as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines. This will include location on site for planned infrastructure based on community agreement, supervision of all construction works as regards classroom and water services construction.
- Keep detailed technical records for every construction works, trainings and meetings as per the instructions and formats existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Provide feedback through the Infrastructure manager to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the Infrastructure manager on infrastructure development activity.
- Assist the Infrastructure manager and tender committee in selection of qualified contractors to implement the rehabilitation and construction of the water and education infrastructures.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods and contract supporting documents.
- Maintain detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project, including site visits and reporting of work progress.
- Other duties as assigned by the Infrastructure manager including assignments to any part of Somalia.
Partners Contractors, local artisans, resource persons, community leaders, government officials and as delegated by Infrastructure Manager for the purpose of carrying out work responsibilities.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Infrastructure Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All Program team, Operations, HR and Finance
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in civil/construction engineering or other relevant educational background, preferably technical, to degree level or similar or relevant equivalent experience.
- Minimum three years’ work experience in engineering project implementation and supervision.
- Knowledge and experience in use of CAD programs preferably Auto CAD and Archi CAD.
- Knowledge and experience in generation of bill of quantities (BOQS).
- Proven knowledge in the interpretation of construction engineering drawings and designs.
- Understand construction standards of Somalia as stipulated by the Federal Ministry of Public Works and Housing.
- Demonstrated and proven expertise in construction and water and sanitation and the use of appropriate technologies, with at least two years’ experience
- Familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of UN agencies, Local organizations, and other NGOs.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to anticipate project needs
- Experience working with host governments and their agents, INGOs and national NGOs
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others, both national and international staff in a team environment.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and codes particularly SPHERE guidelines.
- Good knowledge and understanding of donor requirements, including USAID, EU, UN and other donors
- Spoken and written English proficiency is essential. Proficiency in Somali language is preferred.
- Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications should submit their CV and Motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Sept 15th 2019. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for the Interview