PROJECT MANAGER – ECONOMIC AND LIVELIHOOD PROJECT
PROJECT MANAGER – ECONOMIC AND LIVELIHOOD PROJECT
|Duty Station:||Baidoa||Duration: 1 Year with high possibility of extension|
|Reports to:||Program Director||Department: Program Unit|
|Closing date:||06/August/2018||Duration of the Initial contract: 3 Months Probationary Period|
- BACK GROUND
MMC-International is a leading development consulting firm based in Somalia providing exemplary consulting services to domestic and international clients in the areas of Research and M&E, Policy and Strategy Development, Project Management and Institutional Capacity Development in a wide range of practice areas. MMC-International has been working in Somalia since 2009 mainly supporting and empowering vulnerable women and youth to be socially and economically active through the provision of integrated social and economic empowerment support interventions. Currently, MMC-International is a consortium member of an SSF funded “Economic Development and Livelihood Project” with the objective of addressing drivers of conflict and instability by providing socio-economic opportunities to socially and economically empower vulnerable youth and women in targeted districts of the South West State (SWS) of Somalia thus becoming responsible citizens.
The project is now seeking a qualified Project Manager who will perform the overall management of the project (including staff management , project planning and implementation) and provide technical support in areas related to MMCI project components for the “Economic Development and Livelihood Project”, particularly executing the day to day work related to the employability and enterprise development activities of the project in order to successfully facilitate the target beneficiary’s transition to sustainable wage and self-employment. S/he will also make sure that the desired outcomes of the project are achieved.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The Project Manager (Technical Expert) will work under the guidance and supervision of the Program Director and collaboratively work with the designated team of the consortium lead agency and MMCI internal key functions. The incumbent will also work closely with the private sector and relevant government entities at the federal, state and local level. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Representation, Liaison, Coordination and Partnership
- Act as the official MMC-International representative to stakeholders for all matters concerning the Economic and Livelihood project in the area of operation.
- Establish solid working relations with the PSC, PMU, Gov’t, private sector and other key stakeholders
- Contribute to creation of effective and good technical synergies with other members of the consortium to mainstream and contribute to the achievement of the overall goal of the project
- Participate in solidifying partnership with other international development partners through establishing effective coordination mechanism.
- Support to analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Support to development of partnerships with government institutions, private sector, civil society as a way of improving services to the target users (youth).
- Participate in the preparation of briefing documents, development and update information materials to ensure that stakeholders have a common understanding of the project.
- Support to organization of meetings with the project steering committee at regular basis to evaluate the project progress.
- Project Management
- Fully familiarise with project documentation, i.e. SSF strategy 2016-2020, project proposal and budget, logical framework and M&E plan, work plan, risk register, sustainability plan, SSF’s Accountability Instructions Manual, grant agreement between the lead agency and SSF, The Consortium Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Sub-agreement signed between MMC-International and the lead agency.
- Establish clear strategy and direction for the Project in the areas of operation in collaboration with the consortium project coordinator
- Closely collaborate with the consortium coordinator in the joint development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the project inception plan
- Support the startup of the project implementation in the various target project locations,
- Take the lead in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the results areas and activities MMC is assigned to.
- Ensure timely implementation of project activities, target
- Provide operational supervision to staff in the implementation of project activity by leading in monthly planning with project staff at the district level, ensuring resources are appropriately utilized
- Provide technical advice and strategies to project officers, VET instructors, Business trainers and Employment counselors in the efficient and effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of Employability training and Pos-training support interventions
- Build the knowledge and capacity of the staff through training, on the job mentoring/coaching and exposure to the youth economic development and livelihood model to enable them to efficiently plan their day-to- day work and appropriate support to the targeted youth and women
- Conduct regular project monitoring visits to ensure that program standards are followed and maintained , and provide feedback and recommendations to the staff for improvements to project implementation
- Prepare regular written monitoring reports with recommendations
- Prepare and submit periodic narrative progress reports (i.e. weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual) , as well as special reports as requested for internal and external purpose
- Assumes direct responsibility for managing the project budget by ensuring that:
- Project funds are disbursed properly;
- Expenditure is in accordance with the project document and project work plans;
- Accounting records and supporting documents are properly kept and financial reports are prepared;
- Financial operations are transparent and financial procedures/regulations are properly applied; and
- Work closely with designated MMC Admin/Finance team in monitoring the project budget. On a regular basis review the project expenses, ensure all expenses are charged to appropriate budget codes and analyse any under spent or overspent.
- Determine any issues related to project budget and determine solutions in coordination with designated MMC and consortium lead partner (SOS CV) team.
- Ensure that Internal and donor related finance and procurement policies and procedures are strictly followed by project staff and Report to Finance and Admin Director any suspected violation of finance and procurement policies and procedure for proper investigation.
- In close coordination with MMC Admin/Finance team, organize a finance and procurement training to project field staff during staff orientation and induction
- Admin, HR and Team Management
- Coordinate with Admin/Finance Director and Program Director in the recruitment for new staff and conduct induction according to orientation schedules in timely manner
- Line manages the staff on designated projects, making sure that each staff has clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities and there is synergy among members of the team.
- In coordination with the Program Director and youth employment program team, contribute in identifying the core program staff and ensure the continuity of their services to guaranty program quality delivery.
- Work together with line managed staff to identify clear performance objectives and capacity building plan.
- Support and motivate staff to achieve their performance objectives and with support from HR team undertake the periodic performance review
- When needed, provide direct coaching or mentoring to project staff in the implementation of project activities and facilitate their technical capacity building
- Coordinate with the logistics department to ensure verifiable records for the procurement, transportation, delivery and receipt of project inputs to the respective field locations.
- Coordinate with Admin/finance Officer and Logistics Officer for all matters related to training and events.
- Business Development
- In close collaboration with the Program Director and the CEO, assist in the development of proposals for new funding opportunities
- Actively incorporate lessons from MMC’s projects and previous technical experience into high-quality thought leadership and positioning activities such as writing, presentations in various industry fora, and active participation in practitioner networks.
- Leverage that experience to produce cogent proposals for new activities involving economic strengthening for young people, alone or in combination with other sectoral strategies.
- Undertake relationship building and management with key funding donors and organizations in the youth livelihoods space. This will include advising the CEO and Program Director on appropriate fund-raising approaches to increase the donor base of MMC-international
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Program Director
Qualification, Skills and Experience Required
- A university graduate degree in a field related to the assignment (e.g. Economics, Business Administration, Social Sciences)
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in the development area, and with three (3) years of experience in designing and/or implementing demand-driven workforce development and/or youth entrepreneurship initiatives
- Familiarity with a range of Active Labor Market Programs, such as technical and life skills training, employment services, wage subsidies, microfinance and microenterprise development
- Demonstrated and in depth understanding of gender issues in economic and social empowerment and practical experience in applying the concepts to practice;
- Experience working with youth and vulnerable populations strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of the Somalia labor market and business environment
- Experience working in the area of capacity building, monitoring and result based management
- Experience managing and reporting on a complex portfolio of projects and/or activities
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, team work, responsibility and to work under tight deadlines
- Strong negotiation skills, communication skills, and writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency in computer software application, report preparation, and data management.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written. Somali language is an added an advantage.
- APLICATION INSTRUCTION
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com , quoting “Project Manager – Economic Development and Livelihood” in the email subject, not later than August 06, 2018.
To apply online click on the following link: https://mmcintnl.com/vacancies
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resource Department, MMC-International and include the following:
- An updated CV with contact information of three work-related referees and,
- A cover letter clearly stating their motivation, qualifications and remuneration requirements.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applications not including all of the above information will not be considered. MMC-International would like to thank all applicants for their interest and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.