PROTECTION TEAM LEADER
|PROTECTION TEAM LEADER|
|Employment category: Grade 4Step 1
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Direct reports:Area Protection staff
Location:Hargeisa, with significant travel to field locations
Authorization level: as per IDRA limit
Advert number: DRC2018/116
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programs. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
|ABOUT THE JOB
The protection team leader will ensure the smooth and effective implementation of all Protection activities within Somaliland. He/she will provide technical support to the Protection team as well as to the DRC Somaliland Program. This is a ‘hands-on’ positon, and the successful candidate will be expected to participate in direct implementation of activities.
· Lead on the development, design and implementation of protection activities in Somaliland in line DRC Protection Strategy.
· Ensure protection mainstreaming during all stages of planning, implementation and monitoring of integrated programs in Somaliland.
· Conduct assessments to identify Protection needs and gaps as well as risks, including those related to gender and age, child protection, GBV, mixed migration and other protection issues
· Develop concrete initiatives and coordinate with the Program team to address the gaps, reduce risks and build community capacities.
· Represent DRC in external Protection forums and enhance networking and collaboration with local partners (government and humanitarian actors) through participation in inter-agency protection working group meetings in Somaliland. Ensure that DRC work is properly articulated at all relevant meetings.
· Participate in inter-agency assessments on humanitarian needs within DRC areas of operation in Somaliland.
· Support protection advocacy directly or through other actors, authorities, and coordination mechanisms
· Line manage Protection staff, ensuring that there is adequate performance management against agreed performance objectives and that appropriate feedback to staff regarding their performance is provided.
· Support National Protection Information Management Officer in the roll out of the Protection Monitoring System through participation in consultation, capacity building of protection monitors, data cleaning, join analysis at area level
· Perform regular monitoring of protection activities/projects in line with project detailed implementation plans.
· Undertake Protection monitoring activities; Conduct interviews and missions to the field. Monitor, analyze and provide reports on the protection conditions for IDPs/returnees/refugees/migrants and other persons of concern to DRC.
· Produce detailed weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plan, procurement plan and activity budget breakdown to facilitate activity implementation
· Compile and submit weekly, monthly and quarterly Protection department activity progress reports to the Program Manager
· Participate in monthly budget follow up review meetings
· Plan and monitor Somaliland Protection Department budget expenditure and ensure that the budget is strictly adhered to and that all supporting documentation for expenses is properly submitted according to DRC’s Administrative and Financial guidelines.
· Contribute to the country protection updates by sharing relevant information with the protection information management officer
· Fill and submit on timely basis protection working group 4W matrix
· Perform other duties as may be required by the supervisor and/or the Protection Manager
|Required qualifications and experience:
· University degree in management, social sciences, law, social work, international humanitarian work, or other relevant field from a recognized institution
· At least 3 years’ experience working in the Protection sector in Somaliland and Somalia.
· Technical skills in the areas of protection and advocacy, including knowledge of the Somaliland legal environment
· Demonstrated experience in Program cycle management (PCM).
· Ability to work with a high level of autonomy
· Excellent report and proposal writing skills
· Ability to develop budgets and monitor expenditure accordingly
· Experience in report writing and knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
· Experience in staff supervision/coaching and development
· Experience developing and implementing trainings
· Excellent written and spoken Somali and English
· Willing to undertake regular field trips and implement activities
· Spoken and written English and Somali is required
· Basic skills on other languages such as Arabic, Amharic is an asset
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
· DRC staff (program, finance, HR etc)
· Government and local Authorities
· Protection working group and mixed migration task force
· UN agencies and other Humanitarian organization
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
|TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Availability: November, 2018
Other terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff.
The position is open to Somali nationals ONLY.
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post to drcjobs@DRCSOMALIA.ORGwith the subject heading “Protection Team Leader” not later than 13 November, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.
(DRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer)