Re-advertisement: Child Protection & Safeguarding Officer
Position: Child Protection & Safeguarding Officer- Somalia
Location: Garowe, Somalia with frequently travel to project locations
Reports to: National Project Manager (Direct)
Child Safeguarding & Protection Coordinator (Technical)
Background: Relief International is a leading non-profit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The individual will be working supporting various education development and emergence projects currently being implemented across Puntland. With an objective of creating safe and protective learning environments in schools and also looking at safety of children within the communities where they live. It will involve strengthening of child safeguarding as well child protection mechanism for schools and communities. Therefore the role will involve working with various stakeholders including; children, teachers, parents/caregivers, communities, community/ religious leaders, government officers both in Ministry of Education and Ministry of Women, Development and Family Affairs. The position is based in Garowe with frequent travel to project sites within Puntland as the job requires.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning and Implementation
- Coordinate with CP/CSG Coordinator and Education National Manager for effective implementation of the project activities as per the work plan and project objectives;
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly work plans, and prepare monthly work plans based on quarterly work-plans
- With support of the Child Protection & Safeguarding Coordinator (CP/CSG), facilitate MoWDAFA to develop quarterly and monthly work plans and targets
- In liaison with CP/CSG Coordinator, support target schools in establishment /strengthening of safeguarding and protection mechanisms;
- Facilitate and deliver trainings to target schools and communities (children, caregiver/parents, teachers, Community Education Committees (CEC), Community Child Protection Committees(CCPC), community/religious leaders) on child rights and protection as well as Psychosocial Support.
- Facilitate, monitor and support schools and communities to develop and implement child safeguarding and protection action plans.
- Support strengthening/establishment of Community Child Protection committees in target schools/communities and ensure linkages between the CCPCs, target schools where RI is working with and MoWDAFA.
- In coordination with HR office and CP/CSG Coordinator, conduct orientation training for all RI staff, partners and other representatives within Puntland on RI child protection policy and behaviour protocols and ensure all have signed up for necessary RI CSG/CP commitments
- In liaison with SBCC coordinator, CSG/CP Coordinator and Education Manager plan and conduct community outreaches on child protection.
- Under guidance of CP/CSG Coordinator, ensure that protection cases in targeted schools, within RI premises and /or are provided timely and necessarily support following the do-no harm principle and within RI Somalia SOPs for supporting survivors.
- Under the guidance of CP/CSG Coordinator and Education Manager, conduct out of school children and young people protection outreaches and support back to school campaigns.
- Under the guidance of CP/CSG Coordinator, MoWDAFA facilitate service providers mapping and strengthening of referral pathways and linkages with target schools
- Any other duty that will enhance achievement of RI and/or projects objectives
- As a member of education department, contribute to the achievement of the departmental goals through liaise with various staff as necessary.
- Work in close collaboration with MoWDAFA and MOE Officials in supporting schools and communities to mitigate and address child protection concerns
- Work closely in collaboration with female and male teacher mentors and Gender focal points assigned to target schools
- Participate and engage with Child Protection Working Group in Puntland and establish/maintain mutual benefiting linkages with child protection/GBV actors in Puntland
- Develop, maintain and improve mutual and beneficial relationships with key stakeholders and provide capacity building through advocacy (including government officials, school teachers and community leaders) to ensure successful implementation of the projects)
- Provide regular follow up and support to school administration, school child protection focal points, CCPCs, MoWDAFA , children & CECs through regular meetings to ensure desired child protection outcomes of various projects are achieved;
- With support of CP/CSG Coordinator, Education Manager and Behaviour Change Communications Coordinator and MoWDAFA, organize awareness raising campaigns, , initiate community dialogues and convey key messages to promote child protection using audio and video channels and local medias;
- In collaboration with Behaviour Change Communications Coordinator and MoWDAFA facilitate Community Dialogues with various key stakeholders on promoting child rights and protection within the schools and communities
- Under guidance of Behaviour Change Communications Coordinator and CP/CSG Coordinator strengthen child participation in protection in schools through boys and girls leadership networks
- Ensure close coordination with M&E department for feedback to enhance the quality aspects of the project activities.
- Working with M&E department on facilitating FGDs and KIIs with girls at schools and uploading data online among others.
- Monitor and support MoWDAFA in delivery of their assigned roles and tasks
- Spend 50% of time in the field to follow up and monitor the implementation and adjust of school-based & community based interventions of EGEP-T& produce field visit reports on regular basis and on ad-hoc basis
- Maintain proper documentation of the project activities and timely upload Means of Verifications for each activity carried out (including signed distribution lists) to the Information Management System
- Prepare and share timely and accurate progressive reports periodically against the work-plan to line manager
- Receive, verify and review MoWDAFA quarterly report before submission to Education Manager and CP/CSG Coordinator
- Ensure implementation of project activities conforms with donor requirements and procedures;
Working with Others
- Ensure effective, streamlined communication between education programme and logistics and other support staff
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Graduate degree in social work/Social Sciences, education and or other relevant discipline;
- Demonstrated progressive 3 years of experience implementing child protection/ protection projects including working in schools
- Experience of delivering trainings and capacity building for various actors on child rights and protection
- Good understanding of child protection concerns, existing mechanisms in Puntland and largely within Somalia, case management and referral pathways
- Experience in strengthening protection mechanisms at community level and school levels as well as working closely with other agencies
- Strong interpersonal & team building skills and excellence as a team player
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Ability to translate English into Somali will be an added advantage
- Experience supporting organisational child safeguarding at field level is an added advantage
- Ability to develop and maintain productive, effective working relationships with stakeholders.
- Possess organizational skills including the ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently, use initiative, establish priorities and work to tight or competing deadlines.
- In hand experience of using Microsoft office (MS word, MS excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Qualified and motivated female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for the post.
Note: Relief International (RI) is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those that we interact with in the course of our work to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) six core principles on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). RI has zero tolerance to beneficiaries’ and staff abuse and exploitation.
Relief international’s values:
Relief International (RI) is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those that we interact with in the course of our work to be protected from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) six core principles on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). RI has zero tolerance to beneficiaries’ and staff abuse and exploitation.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should send their applications (CV and cover letter with 3 referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicatethetitle as “Child Protection & Safeguarding Officer, Garowe” in thesubjectline.
The closing date for applications is April 17, 2019. Only qualified and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
RI is an equal opportunity employer. Given the nature of the tasks to be undertaken by the position holder, only qualified female candidates are required to apply.
The female candidates who had already applied not to re-apply as their Cvs will be considered in shortlisting.