Regional Program Coordinator
|Title:Regional Program Coordinator 1 Position||Location:Kismayo, Somalia||Duration:1 year (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Somalia. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (dairy, fisheries, sesame and banana) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Regional Program Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the Fisheries and Agriculture Team Leaders to implement GEEL’s sector activities in accordance with GEEL’s annual work plans, in order to achieve GEEL’s contractual deliverables and indicator targets. He will also assist Small scale infrastructure activities in Kismayo. He will be supporting Value Chain sectors including Sesame, Banana, Dairy & Livestock value chain Activities’/she will engage with private sector enterprises, potential investors, cooperatives, women’s groups and government representatives with the overall goal of increasing investment, productivity and employment in the sector. Emphasis will be given to monitoring overseeing sustainable resources management, particularly through the implementation of fisheries management obligations. Main areas of work will be within Jubaland and other regions of Somalia and some foreign travel may also be expected
The Regional Program Coordinator will be responsible for the following tasks:
- The Regional Coordinator will ensure the timely implementation of all GEEL program activities in close coordination with technical team in the field
- The RC is responsible for overseeing the sound management of the project field operations ensuring timeliness and efficiency in planning, delivery, documentation and reporting of GEEL operations in the region.
- Support and oversee the day-to-day operation operations of all program i.e. Supervising all Logistics, HR, Admin, Logistic and Finance activities
- Thoroughly monitor workload, working hours, and the progress of employees working in the programs
- Organize regular staff meeting and discuss work plans.
- Ensure that GEEL adequately engages with the local leadership structure, and that project information and all advocacy issues are communicated as necessary.
- Assist the Technical Team to implement key project activities and sectors according to the annual work plans;
- Develop close working relationships with key sector stakeholders to create new market linkages and networks, ensuring interventions in the fisheries sector increase gender equity;
- Be first point of contact for GEEL within Regional Government and working cooperatives/businessesand ensure their inclusion into the broader fisheries/agriculture sector work undertaken by GEEL;
- As directed by the Chief of Party, represent GEEL amongthe various stakeholders engaged in the fisheries sector, including fisher folk, processors, associations, exporters, researchers, government, and donors with similar projects.
- Design and implementation of competitiveness events related to the fisheries sector in close collaboration with the Agricultural Value Chain Team Leader and Investment Advisor.
- Identify and evaluate key businesses or business proposals that will receive mentoring and technical support from GEEL;
- Review grant and partnerships applications from fisheries sector applicants and advise on their feasibility for in-kind assistance;
- Detailed liaison and briefings as may be requested on Value Chain issues by COP.
- Work with the M&E team to undertake field visits, monitoring and verifications of activities undertaken by the engaged partners and implementers.
- Systematically coordinate the collection of all relevant data produced by GEEL partners
- Work with the Financial Institutions e.g. MF and Business Development Service providers and banks develop appropriate financial products with private sector actors
- Ensure women and youth are engaged in the GEEL activities
- Any other tasks that may be allocated by the COP
The Regional Program Coordinator will report directly to Chief of Party, or his delegate, and have line manager interaction with Technical Team Leaders
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree required in relevant field. Master’s preferred or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a relevant competency area, including Environmental management, Agriculture, Natural resource management, Natural science, Environmental science, or other relevant field;
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in this field, preferably with the private sector, an INGO, or a government agency.
- Experience working within Somali organizations, government, political appointees, INGO or rural companies.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multitask, organize, and work productively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Willingness to work in fragile/post-conflict countries;
- Experience managing an office and small staff;
- Demonstrated experience managing or implementing projects in Somalia or surrounding areas highly preferred;
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills;
- Honest and trustworthy;
- Ability to work independently and as part of team;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Word & Excel);
- Well-organized and able to perform effectively within tight deadlines;
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possessing a positive attitude;
- Willingness and/or ability to travel throughout Somalia;
- Ability to interact with various local media outlets and government stakeholders on behalf of the project.
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating location: Application for Regional Program Coordinator–Kismayo, Somalia.Deadline: by 16th Feb 2019.