REQUEST FOR CONSULTANTS FOR PHAST
REQUEST FOR CONSULTANTS
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a global humanitarian organization with a mission to work with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change. ADRA Somalia belongs to the world wide network, comprised of more than 130 supporting and implementing country offices. ADRA Somalia is seeking to recruit a consultant to undertake a Training in participatory hygiene and sanitation transformation(PHAST) in Kismayu.
- Purpose of the Consultancy
ADRA is keen on a community mobilization model focused on increasing the community’s organizational capacity to stimulate local ownership, transfer knowledge and skills and to sustainably plan and manage hygiene promotion and sanitation initiatives.
- Scope and Specific Objectives
The scope of activities and specific training objectives shall be guided as follows:
- Training of Trainers (ToT) and Training of Facilitators (ToF) on PHAST methodology and introduce participants to concepts on basic health care, disaster risk reduction and life-saving skills;
- Equip trainers, facilitators and participants with skills on community governance, good leadership, problem-solving techniques and behaviour change for hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes;
- To orientate PHAST facilitators, volunteers and hygiene promoters on advocacy, social mobilization and planning to address hygiene and sanitation problems;
- Develop and produce custom PHAST toolkit or IEC materials for beneficiary groups;
- Develop PHAST Work Plan for community action
The consultant is expected to consider the following:
- A desk review of relevant literature and to enable localization of PHAST toolkit prior to the training;
- Local authority and community-based discussions or focus groups and field visits to the target areas to assess people’s knowledge attitude and practices;
- Village-level visits to make observations of hygiene practices and WASH infrastructure;
- Develop a 12-day training plan
- Conduct PHAST ToT, TOF for all participants
- Coaching during initial trainings in the field
- Provide technical assistance for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of PHAST related activities
- Development of Work Plan for community involvement and empowering through PHAST
- Consultancy Report
- Required competencies:
- Advanced Degree in Public Health, Social studies, community development, WASH or any other related discipline
- Minimum of five years’ proven experience leading successful community mobilization and strategic communication in WASH projects
- Knowledge and experience of CLTS and PHAST activities in addition to other WASH and education interventions in emergency contexts
- Team training, capacity building and management skills
- Written and verbal knowledge of English and Somali languages.
For the full Terms of Reference (TOR) please visit ADRA Somalia website www.adrasom.org. Interested persons should send a technical and financial proposal to email@example.com by 12th October 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
‘’ADRA Somalia is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those we interact with in the course of our work. We endevour to protect all from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing Committee (IASC) six core principles on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). ADRA Somalia has zero tolerance to abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries and staff.’’